lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
9493671

2004 ford: the temperature sensor..tranny..trans fluid..temp sensor

I want to change the temperature sensor in my 5R110W (tourqueshift) tranny out of my 2004 ford superduty 6.0 L diesel. I am getting a P0713 (trans fluid temp sensor circiut high input) code and I have checked all the wiring. What do I have to do besides take the tranny pan and filter out?   Doug

HiCustomerthis is lostrider, here is the procedure, hope this helps.

Transmission Fluid Temperature (TFT) Sensor

Removal

NOTE: The pressure switches shown in this procedure will not be applicable to all vehicle applications. Some vehicles will not have the pressure switches or the harness installed in the valve body.

1. Remove the transmission fluid pan gasket and filter.
  2. Disconnect the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) sensor electrical connector.
  1. graphic
  2. Press the tab, rotate the sensor counterclockwise and pull out.
  1. graphic
  2. Inspect the O-ring. If O-ring is damaged install a new O-ring.

Installation

1. Lubricate and install a new TFT sensor. Make sure to slightly rotate the sensor to lock it in place.
  1. graphic
  2. Connect the TFT sensor electrical connector.
  1. graphic
  2. Install the transmission fluid filter, pan gasket and pan.
  1. CAUTION: The use of any other transmission fluid than specified can result in the transmission failing to operate in a normal manner or transmission failure.

Fill the transmission.
    • Add 7.0 liters (7.5 qts) of clean automatic transmission fluid to the transmission through the fluid filler tube.
  1. Start the engine. Move the transmission range selector lever through all the gear ranges, checking for engagements.
  1. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, engine running and the transmission at normal operating temperature 66-77°C (150-170°F), check and adjust the transmission fluid level, and check for any leaks. If fluid is needed, add fluid in increments of 0.24 liter (0.5 pint) until the correct level is achieved (fluid should be in the cross-hatched area of the fluid level indicator).

Click ACCEPT for the Answer and leave a FEEDBACK, Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is this for the tourqueshift tranny because i was told that i would also have to remove the valvebody? And do you think that this is my problem givin the info i gave you
This is straight from the Ford service manual for the Torque Shift transmission, and I have replaced allot of them for this concern, and that sounds like the problem you are having,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will try that as I am told that that may be the problem I sure hope it is as it is a large exspense if it does not fix the problem

Here is the pinpoint test if you want to investigate the concern further, hope this helps.

graphicgraphicgraphicgraphic