HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  23 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European

How do I install a pressure clutch plate on a 94 ford ranger 3.0

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 years ago.
Do you need the whole clutch/trans removal and replament? Is it 4x4 or 4x2?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is a 4x2 3.0 6 cylinder manual 5 speed. I only need to replace the pressure clutch plate although someone told me I should probably get the flywheel resurfaced. I just need to keep the truck running right now. It is still running but when I am going down the road at a constant speed every once in a while it sounds like the engine revving up with no increase in speed. I have talked to a couple mechanics and they all said it sounds like the clutch plate is slipping. This is what I would like instructions on. Detailed instructions that would allow me to replace it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am assuming I just need the pressure clutch plate replaced. Whenever I did a search for that online I kept coming up with "clutch kit." It was recommended that I resurface the flywheel, so if that would not be part of the instructions in replacing the clutch plate I woud like to know how to do that. Please be advised that I am basically asking for instructions that are detailed enough that an intelligent person with no prior experience would be able to use and get the job done.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 years ago.

Ok you probably have a leaking slave cylinder/hydraulic throwout bearing.The bearing pushes against the pressure plate to engage and disengage the clutch disc. The disc is most likely worn down and slipping.when you replace the clutch you replace the clutch as a kit with the pressure plate,clutch disc and the slave cylinder will come seperately on this model and need to be bled. You will need to remove the transmission to gain access to the clutch which is alot of work. The flywheel should be resurfaced if it looks in rough shape. The pilot bearing will come with the clutch if it is a complete kit.

My recommendation for a complete how to on removing the trans and the clutch is to go to www.autozone.com and registering for free, they have a full selection of online repair guides that give you step by step instructions. You should have a 4.0 liter engine not a 3.0 on a 94 model.