Brad B
Brad B, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified & ASE G1. Ford Engine and Chassis Master. Been at a Ford dealership for 9 years.
6458937

2006 FORD: RATTLING..TICKING..FLEX PLATE BOLTS..TORQUE CONVERTER

Customer Question

WE HAVE A 2006 FORD 500 WITH A RATTLING/ TICKING TYPE NOISE THAT SOUNDS KIND OF LIKE THE FLEX PLATE BOLTS HITTING SOMETHING. IT SOUNDS LIKE IT IS COMING FROM AROUND THE TORQUE CONVERTER/FLEX PLATE AREA. IT SEEMS WORSE AT AROUND 1500-2000 RPM BUT GETS LOUDER AND QUIETER AND CAN ALSO BE HEARD AT IDLE. THE VEHICLE HAS A 3.0L DURATEK AND A CVT TRANSMISSION. WE HAVE ALREADY REPLACED THE TORQUE CONVERTER AND IT DID NOT CHANGE. WE HAVE .0010" END PLAY ON THE CRANK AND THE RODS HAVE .0016" SIDE PLAY. EVERYTHING ELSE THAT WE CAN SEE LOOKS OK. NO SIGNS OF ANYTHING HITTING INSIDE BELL HOUSING OR INSIDE LOWER END OF ENGINE. THE FLEX PLATE ALSO LOOKS GOOD. ANY IDEAS ON WHAT ELSE WE CAN CHECK?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Brad B replied 5 years ago.

Hey Jmcallister;

Thanks for choosing Just Answer!

Ford has had an issue with your vehicle making a noise with the CVT transmission and / or the PTU unit. I have attached some information for you to read over. Let me know if you need more assistance or not. If you have an all wheel drive vehicle the PTU looks like a differential and is attached to the transmission in the front of the vehicle, and the rear driveline attaches to this. If it is two wheel drive the PTU does not apply.

CLICK HERE FOR INFO.

Brad B, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certified & ASE G1. Ford Engine and Chassis Master. Been at a Ford dealership for 9 years.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THE NOISE IS THERE IN PARK BUT DOES NOT GO AWAY IN DRIVE.
Expert:  Brad B replied 5 years ago.

So when sitting in drive it is still present?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
YES
Expert:  Brad B replied 5 years ago.

Can you pinpoint if the noise is coming from the PTU or the transaxle itself?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no it sounds like it is coming from inside the bell housing from the torque converter flex plate area
Expert:  Brad B replied 5 years ago.

If you saw no signs of rubbing when you replaced the torque convertor and you are sure that the flex plate has no cracks. A possibility is that the internals of the transmission has failed, their is a chain inside the trans and it possibly may be slapping in the case. What happens when you put the trans in neutral?

Transaxle Description
Notes

Transaxle Description
This transaxle represents the start of a new generation of automatic transmissions. This is a continuously variable transaxle (CVT) that permits the engine to operate at its most efficient running speeds. There are no discrete gear shifts and no interruptions in the power flow during acceleration. Instead, optimum use is always made of the engine's potential to transmit its full torque to the wheels. Since this is a continuously variable transaxle, there is an infinite number of gear ratios, so that the optimum engine operating point can always be found. Like the engine, it is located transversely in the vehicle. The mechanical section of the automatic transaxle contains 2 pressure controlled variator assemblies, a high performance chain and a single planetary gear set. The variator assemblies function as pulleys. One is connected to the engine output through the converter. The other is connected to the driveline through the transaxle differential. The chain passes around the pulleys connecting the transaxle input and output. The axial distance on each pulley where the chain travels can be varied. As the axial distance on one pulley decreases (becomes narrow) the other pulley increases (becomes wider) creating the speed (gear) ratio between them. This ratio varies continuously. The chain length remains constant. The single planetary gear set is used to change the rotation of the pulley assemblies for forward or reverse driving ranges. A combined hydraulic and electronic control system (mechatronic) is used to control the transaxle function. The mechatronic is located inside the transaxle. The CVT uses a torque converter with a lock-up clutch.

Torque Converter
Notes

Torque Converter
The converter consists of the impeller, the turbine wheel, the reactive element (stator) and the fluid used to transmit the torque. The impeller is driven by the engine and imparts a circular flow to the fluid in the converter. The angle of the fluid flow is deflected when it strikes the turbine wheel. The fluid leaves the turbine wheel close to the hub, and passes through the stator, where it is again deflected and enters the impeller at an angle. The change in the direction of fluid flow at the stator generates a reaction torque that increases the torque at the turbine. The ratio between turbine torque and impeller torque is the torque conversion ratio. The greater the speed difference between the impeller and the turbine, the greater the increase in torque; this increase reaches a maximum when the turbine is stationary. As turbine speed rises, the increase in torque lessens. When the turbine is running at about 85 percent of the impeller speed, the increase in torque drops to one, that is to say turbine and impeller torques are identical. The stator, which bears against the gearbox housing via a one-way clutch and the stator shaft, can then revolve freely in the fluid flow, and the freewheel is overrun. From this moment, the converter operates purely as a fluid coupling. During the torque conversion phase, the stator is stationary and bears against the housing through the freewheel.