Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

1998 ford escort zx2: cam timing..the valve cover out to service it

Customer Question

where in an 1998 ford escort zx2 is the variable cam timing sloenoid and do i have to take the valve cover out to service it?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Yes the VCT solenoid is under the valve cover and has to come off to service it.

DOWNLOAD HERE

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok so thats the sensor by the spark plugs, the thing is the car is shaking pretty bad and i took it to the mechanic to have it scanned, i already scanned and it gave me the code p1383, i search for the code and is related to the vct solenoid, and im going to service it , do i have to correct the timing or just change the solenoid?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Its very rare for the solenoid to go bad but does happen. I am enclosing the Pinpoint test for this code. Run thru it and it should lead you to your cause.

HK4 CHECK VCT CIRCUIT FOR SHORT TO GROUND AND VPWR IN HARNESS

• Measure resistance between PCM Test Pin 44 and PCM Test Pins 71, 91 and 77/103.

Is each resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?

Yes No
GO to HK5 . REPAIR short to GND or PWR. RESTORE vehicle. COMPLETE PCM Reset to clear DTCs. RERUN Quick Test.

HK5 CHECK VCT SOLENOID VALVE COIL RESISTANCE

• Measure resistance of the VCT solenoid valve coil at the two connector terminals.

Is the resistance between 3.0 and 6.0 ohms?

Yes No
GO to HK6 . REPLACE VCT solenoid valve assembly. RESTORE vehicle. COMPLETE PCM Reset to clear DTCs. RERUN Quick Test.

HK6 CHECK VCT SOLENOID VALVE FOR SHORT TO CASE

• Measure resistance between each connector terminal of the VCT solenoid valve and the solenoid body.

Yes No
REPLACE PCM. RESTORE vehicle. COMPLETE PCM Reset to clear DTCs. RERUN Quick Test. REPLACE VCT solenoid valve. RESTORE vehicle. COMPLETE PCM Reset to clear DTCs. RERUN Quick Test.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok so besides the solenoid what could cause the vehicle to just start shaking out of the blue, it was fine , i needed to replace the water pump and when i was going to move it to the driveway i started and it began to shake , i changed the water pump, spark plugs and cables and the serpentine belt also the fuel filter, but still shakes, in your experience what could it be the soleniod is like $400.00 so i want to be sure what im going to buy
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
It very rare for the solenoid to go bad and I wouuld suspect it more likely a connection issue. The place to start to repair this is with the fault code.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, so the code was p1383 and it says manufacter control ignition system or misfire, spark plugs and cables are new, whats the other thing the "manufacter control ignition system"
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

I would also make sure the timing belt hasnt jumped. This code cover the VCT and its circuit, nothing else.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
mmmm i took a lok to it removing the cover and it look fine ,but thats why i took it to the mechanic to be sure
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Run thru the pinpoint test I sent. Its very inportant that the belt is timed right.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do ineed any special tool to run the test besides an voltage meter?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
No just a volt meter.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok thanks for all your help
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Your very welcom, thank you very Much as well.