Brad B
Brad B, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified & ASE G1. Ford Senior Master

Can you replace just the reverse gear in a 99 ford ranger xlt ?

can you replace just the reverse gear in a 99 ford ranger xlt ? All other gears drive fine

Thanks for choosing Just Asnwer!

Is this an automatic or manual transmission?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, it is a 99 ford ranger XLT with auto trnsmission Backed out of my drive way back in October something popped and no reverse. all other gears work fine just couldn't back up!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Are you saying the problem is electrical?

If all of the forward gears work correctly and only the reverse is faulty, most likely the reverse band inside the transmission is faulty. To repair this the transmission will need to be pulled apart and inspected for other damage. The cost will most likely be the price of a rebuild.

Do all of the other gears work properly or is their a delay in forward shifting?

Is the overdrive light or the check engine light?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Don't recall a delay Nor do I recall check engine light as I said it has been a few months since I have been in it! Is there a way to get a hold of you later when I find out?

This question will be open for a while (at least for the next 2 days)

If the forward gears work correctly and their is no check engine light then you will need to have the transmission tore down to have the reverse band replaced and inspected for other damages. Most shops will do a complete rebuild as sometimes a complete rebuild kit may need to be ordered to get that part.