Bamaman39, Ford Technician
Experience:  10 years ford experience, Ford Senior Master Diesel And Gasoline Tech

How can I add transmission fluid for a 2009 Explorer Sport Trac?

Category: Ford
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for using just answer.

You cannot add transmission fluid from the top because there is no dipstick.You will have to remove the transmission pan or if you had the special tool you would have to pour fluid in a tank and put it in by air pressure.If you remove the pan and refill make sure you put fluid to the top of the valve in the pan.This is the full mark

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for your answer.

So I can remove the transmission pan and refill it with fluid and reattach the pan.

The problem is that I was going to change the oil and my advice on the correct plug was for the transmission plug, I dropped the plug and was unable to stop most of the fluid from leaking. The fluid was saved in a clean bucket, should I be able to return this fluid into the pan without issue.

Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 7 years ago.

Yes you can.This is kinda a pain job.You might need someone to help you start the pan bolts while you hold the pan on the transmission.Its kind of awkward with the fluid in it.Remember the plug you took out is a two part plug.The small is to fill up and the big is to drain.Also the big plug is the indicator valve.Only fill the fluid to the top of that valve.

Good luck