Brad B
Brad B, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified & ASE G1. Ford Engine and Chassis Master. Been at a Ford dealership for 9 years.

2005 ford F150: drove home..home and it wont start makes no noises

2005 ford F150 5.4 drove home and it won't start makes no noises ,just had the battery check and it's okay
Category: Ford
Expert:  Brad B replied 4 years ago.

Hey RMF;

Thanks for choosing Just Answer!

When you say you had the battery checked was this before the no start issue or after?

Also do you have any dash lights / or headlights?

If you have headlights do they dim when you try to start?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
All the electrical seems to work won't turn over doesn't even click
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
After all the eletrical seems to be okay it won't turn over and makes no noises or clicks
Expert:  Brad B replied 4 years ago.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
After the probelm and no my headlights don't dim.When you turn the key nothing happens
Expert:  Brad B replied 4 years ago.

I have not seen an issue with the starters going bad with your truck although it could be a possibility. Depending on the next question I will be able to know what way to go with this.

When you turn the key to the run position does your theft indicator light flash very fast? Stay on continuous? Or come on for a few seconds then go out?

Also is this an automatic or manual transmission?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
stays on cotinous and then goes out it's an automatic
Expert:  Brad B replied 4 years ago.

Being the light is on then goes out this shows the PATS (passive anti theft system) is working correctly.

I have seen many times where the batteries were bad on these rigs and all of the accessories worked correctly but still would not start do to the cranking amperage being too low. Although you said you had the battery checked.

Ford has had some issues with your model not making any noise when trying to start.

CLICK HERE FOR INFORMATION

If you have a voltmeter I could assist you in some things to check at the starter to see if this is the cause or if you have something else? I would suspect that the wiring pigtail is your issue.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I have a volt meter but won't be able to check it till the morning.Thanks for the help
Expert:  Brad B replied 4 years ago.

If you check the large wire (red wire) at the starter you should have nominal voltage (battery voltage) at all times.

The smaller wire (yellow / light blue) should have nominal voltage when the ignition is put to the start position. If you do not have voltage to this wire Ford says to install the pigtail wire. You will also most likely see the wiring damaged at the point where it contacts the starter if this is the cause.

If not you will need to check the relay at the central junction box (refer to your owners manual for where this relay is, you can swap this relay with a known good one (look for another one in that box that looks the same and swap it with this one to see if the truck starts.)

Fuse 101 (30 amp) / Fuse 102 (20 amp) which are also located in the same fuse box as the relay control this relay. Most likely you will not need to go this far due to the wiring at the starter has been a very known problem with your truck.

Brad B, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certified & ASE G1. Ford Engine and Chassis Master. Been at a Ford dealership for 9 years.