Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

1995 Taurus: trouble codes..cars..initial crank the car..erratic

I have a 1995 Taurus that is giving me trouble codes 543, 211 &212. The cars symtoms are after initial crank the car does run slightly erratic but not terrible but you never know when the car will leave. I can go some where and come back out to crank the car and all it will not crank but just spin over. It might start in 1 minute or the next day. I have replaced the ICM, the coil, the inertia switch and the module up next to battery and radiator that the fuel pump relay is suppose to be in. Code 543 suggets I have an open between the fuel pump and EEC but would the car even start with this problem. Oh, by the way, when you start the car, the check engine light does not come on immediatly but after about 15-20 secs of run time. The PIP circuit (code 211) and IDM input (code 212) I'm not sure what those are. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

What color was the modual you Installed?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
both were black.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

The code 211 and 212 is usualy set due to eaither a worn distributor shaft or a bad stator in the distributor. If the engine runs better with SPOUT disconnected and runs poor again when it is reconnected, the problem is likely to be in the distributor. There are several items that could cause this. A defective pickup can transmit erratic inputs to the module and powertrain control module (PCM). A worn distributor shaft bushing or a magnetized shaft can also cause erratic signals. Monitor the PIP signal with a labscope. At the same time, monitor the duty cycle of the PIP signal. Backprobe the PIP wire at the ignition control module (ICM). With the SPOUT disconnected, the pattern is a 12 volt square wave with an approximate 50% duty cycle and clean corners. One square wave has less duration than the others. This signal is used on port fuel injected vehicles only to identify TDC compression to the PCM. With the SPOUT connected, a notch will be out of one corner of each square wave. The duty cycle should be 47-53% and be relatively stable. Any variation out of this range indicates shaft wobble. An out of specification, but stable reading, indicates a magnetized shaft. In either of these cases, the distributor will need to be replaced as an assembly. If the duty cycle reading is stable, but the square wave is erratic, replace the pickup assembly. Always confirm that the duty cycle on any replacement distributor is within specifications. A replacement pick-up/stator assembly will not cure a shaft magnetism problem.

543 in keep alive memory (KAM) of the self-test are related to the fuel pump circuit. The powertrain control module (PCM) monitors the output of the fuel pump relay when the relay is energized. For any of these service codes to be valid, the car would have to exhibit a symptom relative to low or dropping fuel pressure or an intermittent connection problem causing a momentary loss of voltage to the PCM from the relay. These service codes will not cause the PCM to turn on the malfunction indicator light. If no fuel pressure related symptoms are present, the circuit between the PCM and the fuel pump relay could cause the codes to set. It is also possible that simply hitting a bump hard enough to cause the points to bounce in the relay without creating a driveability concern can set these codes. Repair as necessary

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ronnie, I forgot but I did replace the distributer with a reman'd one. Which one is the sprout connect and what does it look like and I'll try the run test. If the shaft is magnetised, what can I do?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
If the shaft is magnetiesed, the dist has to be replaced. The SPOUT is the 2 wire connector taped to the TFI connector used for setting timing.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ronnie, Please forgive the elementary question but where in the engine compartment is the TFI connector located. Is it near the scan plugs, the distributor, ??
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Oh I am sorry ( TFI) thick film ignition modual) On RH side of engine compartment bulkhead, near strut tower.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much Ronnie for your information and time...
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

Here is a picture and the discription of the SPOUT.

Thank you very much as well.

DESCRIPTION
The Spark Angle Word (SAW) ,or Spark Output (SPOUT) connector is used to open and close the circuit between the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and the Ignition Control Module (ICM) for checking base timing.

OPERATION
When the SPOUT or SAW connector is inserted in the harness connector, the ICM operates according to PCM timing data (computed timing). When the SPOUT or SAW connector is removed from the harness connector, the ICM operates on the Profile Ignition Pickup (PIP) signal only (base timing).

graphic

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs