AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2004 Ford Explorer: problems with EGR..ran rough

Customer Question

2004 Ford Explorer was having problems with EGR. I replaced it. It still ran rough and shook. Now it seems that I am having problems with the transmission. The vehicle will not idle in reverse and the gears seem to change roughly. I'm concerned the EGR problems are associated with the transmission problems. Are they? If so, what can I do to get everything working again. There is no engine light on.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

Hello!

I would recommend to fix the running issues first, and then go after the transmission issue second (if there still is a problem.) This is because the transmission will not work properly when the engine is performing poorly.

When was the last time the engine was tuned up? No, not just plugs, but a full tune up! The whole nine yards! Any part of the secondary ignition will do this including the ignition coil or coils! This sounds like a classic ignition misfire! They usually go bad under a load like under acceleration, but can be noticeable at any time. It is very important to have your engine equipped with good tune up parts or you may be causing damage to other components of you car like the catalytic converter which can be expensive!

Possible causes:

Ignition misfire causes by any bad tune up part and or ignition coil or coils.
Bad spark plugs, spark plug wires and cap and rotor (if equipped)
Wrong tune up parts spark plug, wires etc...

The quickest way to check the ignition components, is by looking closely for leaking secondary voltage. Visual look at all the tune up parts to see if you can see any sparks coming from any of the wires or coil (or coils) when the vehicle is running. If not, you can put your hand on the coil/coils and wires when the engine is running and see if you feel any small voltage leaking form the tune up parts.

It will leak secondary ignition voltage from the tune up parts caused by high resistance from carbon tracking if they are bad. This is very common if the tune up parts are not changed regularly!

If any is found, the tune up parts are simply bad and will need to be replaced! If none is found than you can spray a mist of water on the tune up parts when the engine is running and see if that causes the engine to stumble or run rough at all. Again, if it does, the tune up parts are bad and will need to be replaced!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
would this cause gear shifting problems also? Going in reverse feels really rough?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Can you tell if its the engine running rough or if the problem is being caused by the transmission?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The engine was running rough before the transmission started running rough, about a week between.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
THat would make sense. Lets go after the running problem first.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can you list the tune up parts you are mentioning?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Spark plugs, spark plug wires, coil/coils
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience: ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
okay man, I'll start there.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

SOunds good!

Just be sure that there are not air or vacuum leaks.

Let me know how it turns out!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
okay, I changed the wires and plugs. I did not change out the coil. Idle is much rouhger now.

Good news is the transmission idles in reverse and the vehicle doesn't stop in reverse.

do you have any other suggestions as to why the idle is so rough?

Is the good news about the transmission temporary?

Is replacing the coil the next thing?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

Is the engine misfiring?

Be sure there is is no air or vacuum leaks. Be sure that the air snorkel between the air filter and the throttle body is not cracked or ripped.

Just be sure there are no other vacuum leaks what so ever. Intake make manifold gaskets and any vacuum hoses or lines will need to be checked.

ALso, even if there is no check engine light on, there still could be a code in the computer. Your local auto parts store might scan your computer for free for you.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

DEFINITION
Engine runs unevenly at idle. If severe, the engine or vehicle may shake. Engine idle speed may vary in RPM. Either condition may be severe enough to stall engine.

PRELIMINARY CHECKS

Perform the careful visual / physical checks as described in Diagnosis By Symptom/Preliminary Checks .
Check for vacuum leaks.
Check Powertrain Control Module (PCM) grounds for being clean, tight and proper routing.

FUEL SYSTEM
Check:

Injector balance.

Diagnostic Trouble Code Tests and Associated Procedures\Related Tests and Information\C Charts\Chart C-2A Injector Coil Test Procedure
For fuel in pressure regulator hose. If fuel is present, replace regulator assembly.
Evaporative Emission Control (EVAP) system, use Chart C-3 Evaporative Canister Purge Valve Check . See: Diagnostic Trouble Code Tests and Associated Procedures\Related Tests and Information\C Charts\Chart C-3 EVAP Canister Purge Valve Check

The heated oxygen sensor should respond quickly to different throttle positions. If it does not, check the heated oxygen sensor for silicon contamination from fuel or use of improper RTV sealant. The sensor will have a white, powdery coating, and will indicate a high but false signal voltage (rich exhaust indication). The PCM will then reduce the amount of fuel delivered to the engine, causing a severe driveability problem.
NOTE : Monitoring Long Term (L.T.) fuel trim and Short Term (S.T.) fuel trim will help identify the cause of some problems. Refer to Typical Tech 1 Data Definitions for an explanation of L.T. fuel trim and ST. fuel trim.

ADDITIONAL CHECKS
Check:

Throttle linkage for sticking or binding.
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system, use Chart C-7 Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Flow Check .

Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve Check .

A/C signal to PCM, scan tool should indicate A/C is being requested whenever A/C is selected. If problem exists with A/C "ON," check A/C system operation

Crankcase ventilation valve for proper operation.

Service Bulletins for Programable Read Only Memory (PROM) updates.
For broken motor mounts.

Generator output voltage. Repair if less than 9 or more than 17.3 volts.
Cruise control cable for binding or adjustment.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't think it's misfiring. How can I tell?

What is a good way to check the vacuum system? I already tried soapy water, listening, and visual inspection.

There is no fluctuation in the RPM's at idle.

Any other suggetions?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
THere is no fluctuations at idle? I thought you said it runs rough at idle?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It does run rough in park and when I come to a complete stop. When this happens, I look at the RPM gauge and there is not fluctuation. It looks steady.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Well, then I would lean more toward a misfire then a vacuum leak.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what would cause a misfire?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Too much or too little air and or fuel in any of one or more of the cylinders, lack of spark, no or low compression.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
okay, lets break this down.

1. Spark plugs and wires were changed.
2. Vehicle idleing rougher than before
3. Vehicle transmission is now working better.
4. No flucuation reading on the RPM guage. Reading steady.
5. Spark plugs and wires initially replaced as a fix to rough idleing.
6. Idle is rougher.

Are you telling me that I need to make sure I changed the plugs and wires correclty?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
NO... I think we should plug into the computer to check for codes. I would recommend to drive it to your local auto parts store and have them plug into it. Right now, we are just guessing. Kinda like trying to find a needle in a hay stack. We need solid proof or a good test that will tell us which direction to go in.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Autozone will do it but only with a check engine light on and there is no check engine light on. I'll try anyway.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

They should still be able to scan it for you.

If not, you can purchase a code reader for about 40 bucks or see if a local a shop in your area will scan it for free for you.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

I found a TSB for this problem. There is a computer reflash to fix this problem.

Here it is!

TSB 04-21-12

11/01/04

4.0L - ROUGH IDLE IN DRIVE

FORD:
2004-2005 Explorer

MERCURY:
2004-2005 Mountaineer

ISSUE
Some 2004-2005 Explorer 4dr/Mountaineer vehicles built before 10/4/2004 with a 4.0L engine may exhibit a rough idle/vibration at base idle with the engine at normal operating temperature and the transmission in drive, which can be felt in the seat and steering column. This condition may also be described as an intermittent shake or bobble at idle.

ACTION
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using WDS release B33.10 or higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at the website.

AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do Ioad the reflash on the vehicle?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
still there
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

Hello!

Sorry for the delay!

The computer re flash must be done with a scanner that has this capability. This is a pretty involved process. You will have to take it to the Ford Dealership or take it somewhere that has access to a scanner that has the capability to re flash your on board computer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
cool thanks
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the accept!

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay I'm back. Had the Explorer PCM updated. Problem is still there. The technician showed me the data and he told me that there has to be a vacuum problem because of the fuel/air mixture data. He said the vacuum leak problem was probably located on the "plenum" whatever that is. Another tech said something about rings that melt and cause leaking also. They told me to bring the explorer back on Monday for an estimate to find the leak/s and fix it/them. I want to try to resolve myself. What do you think? Does any of this information "ring a bell"?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

Hello!

THe plenum would be the intake. If the guy was talking about a vacuum leak, chances are he was suggesting a vacuum leak from possible a bad intake/plenum gasket.

However, if this is the case, this would eventually cause a code to generate in the computer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Wow. I saw the fuel/air readings on the computer. I wonder why a code is not being generated?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
WHat were the air fuel readings?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't know the exact readings but the plotting was all over the board. Flat, spike, flat for a while. Nothing consistent or even. i wonder if he's playing games with me?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Are you talking about the fuel trim numbers or the o2 sensor voltage?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
you got me there. All I saw was two rows of data showing plotting. Almost like an EKG for heart patients in hospitals. It might have been both.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Was the engine idling?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes it was idling, just real rough. however the rpm guage looked steady.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

Well, it sounds like you have a vacuum leak. This is very common! Open the hood and listen for a hissing sound when the engine is running.
Unmetered air can enter the engine through a vacuum leak, a dirty airflow sensor that is not reading airflow accurately, an EGR valve is not closing and is leaking exhaust into the intake manifold, an EGR valve that is allowing too much flow.
If it is hard to pinpoint take some brake cleaner or starting fluid around the intake manifold and vacuum lines and see if the engine stumbles or if the idle is affected. Be extremely careful when doing this!

Also, your throttle body may be carboned up and need to be cleaned! This can cause all sorts of idle and hesitation problems. This is caused by the throttle plate not seating properly. The First thing i would do is clean out the throttle body with some throttle plate and intake cleaner and a small brush. Another common cause would be the Idle Air Control motor. This is very common on older cars. The IAC motor gets lazy and cant keep up with the fast idle changes. Also when the IAC motor is out, I rec to check the passages for carbon build up. If they are plugged they need to be cleaned out.

Check for the following conditions:

Poor connection at PCM or IAC motor. Inspect harness connectors for backed out terminals, improper mating, broken locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, and poor terminal to wire connection.
Damaged harness. Inspect the wiring harness for damage.
Restricted air intake system. Check for a possible collapsed air intake duct, restricted air filter element, or foreign objects blocking the air intake system.
Throttle body. Check for objects blocking the IAC passage or throttle bore, excessive deposits in the IAC passage and on the IAC pintle, and excessive deposits in the throttle bore and on the throttle plate. Check for a sticking throttle plate. Also inspect the IAC passage for deposits or objects which will not allow the IAC pintle to fully extend.
Vacuum leak. Check for a condition that causes a vacuum leak, such as disconnected or damaged hoses, leaks at EGR valve and EGR pipe to intake manifold, leaks at throttle body, faulty or incorrectly installed PCV valve, leaks at intake manifold brake booster hose disconnected, oil filler cap, oil level indicator loose or missing, etc..

AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well let me get to work then. What is the danger with using starting fluid or brake cleaner to check for leaks?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

Well, brake cleaner and starting fluid is flammable so it is dangerous to do this.

If no major vacuum and or air leaks are found, the best way to check for small vacuum leaks are with a smoke machine. A smoke machine is usually used to find small leaks in an evap system. If you decide to go this route, you will need to go to a shop that has a smoke machine and have them smoke your intake manifold along with the air snorkel from the mass air flow sensor to the throttle body to look for any leaks. However, there is a lot of checking and inspecting you can do on your own before you get to this part.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
okay. thanks
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

You bet!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've been checking out all the things you mentioned. I've cleaned hoses, replaced the air filter, checked the snorkel, etc. It seems like the vehicle is getting worse the more I inspect it.

Yesterday, I sat in the car for a while reading mail, and the rpm's began to rise the fall, rise then fall, just a few lines, but it was continuous then it stopped, then started again. It almost seemed like the vehicle was having a hard time breathing.

Does this sound familiar to you?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

WOW!

YES! I see this all the time and it is very common. You still might have a vacuum leak! THis is the most common out of all things to cause this rough and or unstable idle.

Have you had the intake smoked for leaks? THis would be the way to go if you cannot find any vacuum leaks.

Another thing that can cause this is the IAC motor. THis is a little more un likely but still a possibility. If you absolutely cannot find anything causing this problem, we might need to change the IAC motor.

THe only other things that I can think of is either the o2 sensors or the mass air flow sensor going bad. THey both could go bad causing this issue as well, but however, they should set a code in the computer if they are bad.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

ONe more thing is the fuel pressure regulator. It is located on the fuel rail. It is round, about a quarter size and has a vacuum line going to it. If the regulator is leaking gas than it can cause this problem. Pull off the vacuum line that goes to the regulator. Be absolutely sure there is no gas in the vacuum line. If there is, the diaphragm has ruptured and there is gas entering the engine that is not accounted for and the regulator will need to be replaced!

ALso, I found two TSB's that talk about this rough and or instable idle. One is for the IAC motor and the other is for the intake manifold gaskets going bad causing a vacuum leak.

Article No.
03-3-5

02/17/03

DRIVEABILITY - IDLE AIR CONTROL (IAC) VALVE
DIAGNOSTIC SERVICE TIPS

FORD:
2000-2003 TAURUS
2002 THUNDERBIRD
2000-2003 EXPLORER, RANGER
2001-2003 EXPLORER SPORT TRAC, EXPLORER SPORT

LINCOLN:
2000-2002 LS

MERCURY:
2000-2003 SABLE, MOUNTAINEER

ISSUE

Some vehicles, may exhibit drivability conditions.

These may include:

^ No start Difficult to start Stall

^ Low idle

^ Rough idle

^ High idle

^ Hesitation/surge while accelerating or at steady speed

These conditions may be intermittent with no Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) and no Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). In some cases DTC and MIL may be evident.

ACTION

Trouble cannot be identified with 95% of returned Idle Air Control (IAC) valves. The following procedure is supplemental information to normal diagnostics to facilitate accurate identification of malfunctioning valves. These symptoms would include engine stall, hard start, crank/no start, idling problems, and Idle Speed Control System related DTC's.

Driveability - Vacuum Leak Detection

Article No.
01-20-5

10/15/01

^ DRIVEABILITY - DETECTING VACUUM LEAKS -
USING THE ROTUNDA VACUTEC 522 SMOKE
LEAK DETECTOR MACHINE

^ DRIVEABILITY - DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES
(DTC) P0171, AND/OR P0174 - DETECTING
VACUUM LEAKS - USING THE ROTUNDA VACUTEC
522 SMOKE LEAK DETECTOR MACHINE

FORD:
1997-2000 CONTOUR
1997-2001 ESCORT
1997-2002 CROWN VICTORIA, MUSTANG, TAURUS
2000-2002 FOCUS
2002 THUNDERBIRD
1997-1998 F-250 HD, F-250 LD
1997-2002 E SERIES, EXPEDITION, EXPLORER SPORT, EXPLORER, F-150, RANGER, WINDSTAR
1999-2002 SUPER DUTY F SERIES
2000-2002 EXCURSION
2001 ESCAPE
2001-2002 EXPLORER SPORT TRAC

LINCOLN:
1997-2002 CONTINENTAL, TOWN CAR
2000-2002 LS
1998-2002 NAVIGATOR
2002 BLACKWOOD

MERCURY:
1997 COUGAR, TRACER
1997-2000 MYSTIQUE
1997-2002 GRAND MARQUIS, SABLE
1999-2002 COUGAR
1997-2002 MOUNTAINEER

ISSUE
Some vehicles may exhibit vacuum or air leaks in the Intake Manifold and/or Engine System causing DTC's, P0171 (System Too Lean (BANK 1), and/or P0174 (System Too Lean (BANK 11). This article can also be used if you suspect a vacuum leak that has not generated a DTC.

ACTION
Use the Rotunda's Vacutec 522 - Smoke Leak Detector Machine to help detect vacuum or air leaks in the engine compartment air intake or vacuum system. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE IGNITION KEY AND ENGINE MUST BE TURNED OFF AT ALL TIMES DURING THIS DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE.

VEHICLE PREPARATION
Prepare vehicle for a hoist (if necessary).

1. Visually inspect the engine Intake Manifold and Engine System for loose, broken or disconnected hoses etc...

a. If you find a leak condition, repair by using the appropriate model year PC/ED or Workshop Manual. Verify the fix for this repair by using this Vehicle Preparation and Diagnostic Procedure.

b. If you DO NOT locate the Intake Manifold and Engine System leak condition, perform the following steps included in the Vehicle Preparation and Diagnostic Procedure.

2. In the topside of the engine compartment, remove any plastic shields that could be covering the Throttle Body or Intake Manifold.

3. Remove the Air Cleaner Outlet Tube Assembly (Zip Tube) on the Throttle Body side. Plug the Throttle Body inlet opening with the proper Cap Plug located in the Rotunda Vacutec - 522 kit.

a. Plug or tape the ends of the closure hose(s) if equipped (usually attached to the Air Cleaner Outlet Tube Assembly (Zip Tube)) for best results.

4. Plug the tail pipe(s) with the tapered rubber cone (218-00003).

5. Locate a small manifold vacuum source/port to the Intake Manifold (if equipped). It is recommended to use the vehicle's manifold vacuum source from the Vapor Management Valve (VMV) port.

6. Insert the nozzle from the Black Hose which is located on the right side of the Rotunda's Vacutec 522 Unit into the Intake Manifold vacuum source. This Black Hose will release SMOKE only. DO NOT use the clear hose (air Pressure source).

7. Power Supply - 12V DC: Attach the Remote Starter Power Cables located on the left side of the Rotunda Vacutec - 522 unit to the subject vehicle battery.

NOTE BATTERY NEEDS TO BE IN GOOD WORKING ORDER TO RUN THE SMOKE LEAK DETECTOR MACHINE.

8. Hook up the Halogen spotlight (218-00008) cables on the vehicle battery terminals. This is a high intensity light source will help locate the smoke in the engine compartment.

DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE FOR LOCATING LEAKS WITH THE ROTUNDA'S VACUTEC - 522 SMOKE LEAK DETECTOR MACHINE

NOTE YOU WILL SEE SMOKE DURING THE FOLLOWING DIAGNOSTIC SMOKE MACHINE PROCEDURE FROM THE FOLLOWING COMPONENTS (IF EQUIPPED): EGR VALVE, EVR, IAC SOLENOID (ONLY IF EQUIPPED WITH AN EXTERNAL CAP VENT) AND IMRC. THE SMOKE WILL BE VISIBLE WITH THESE COMPONENTS UNDER PRESSURE (13 INCHES OF WATER (1/2 PSI)).

NOTE DO NOT CHANGE ANY OF THESE COMPONENTS UNLESS THEY HAVE GENERATED THEIR SPECIFIC DTC.

1. Turn the selector valve to "Smoke" position.

2. Verify that the nozzle from the "Black Hose" is inserted in the manifold vacuum hose (Step 6 of Vehicle Prep) to pressurize Intake Manifold and Engine System with smoke only.

3. Check the "Power Supply Light" (Green Light ON) located on the Rotunda Vacutec 522 Panel housing when the Vacutec - 522 Remote Starter Power Supply Line (Cables) are secured to the vehicle's battery terminals.

4. Pick up the Rotunda's Vacutec - 522 Remote Starter which is located with the Power Supply Line (Battery Cables).

NOTE THE REMOTE STARTER RELEASES THE SMOKE INTO THE VACUUM HOSE THROUGH THE BLACK HOSE NOZZLE INTO THE ENGINE.

5. Check the "Smoke Indicator Light" (Red Light "ON" will illuminate when the remote starter trigger is pushed) located on the panel of the Rotunda Vacutec - 522 unit.

6. Check that the Halogen Spotlight is secured to the vehicle's battery terminals.

7. Remove the oil fill cap.

8. Push the Rotunda's Vacutec Remote Starter Trigger which will release the Smoke into the Intake Manifold and Engine System until you see smoke coming from the oil fill cap opening (neck).

9. Once the smoke is visible from the oil fill cap opening, quickly tighten the oil fill cap to seal up the oil system.

a. Push the Remote Starter Trigger until the Intake Manifold and Engine System have reached maximum pressure (13 inches of water (1/2 PSI)).

NOTE WHEN THE INTAKE MANIFOLD AND ENGINE SYSTEM HAS REACHED MAXIMUM PRESSURE, YOU MAY SEE SMOKE COMING FROM THE RELIEF VALVE LOCATED ON THE REAR SIDE OF THE ROTUNDA VACUTEC - 522 UNIT. STOP PUSHING THE REMOTE STARTER TRIGGER.

10. Start looking for smoke on the topside of the engine compartment. Push the Remote Starter a few more times while you are looking for the smoke.

11. It there's no smoke visible on the topside of the engine compartment, secure the vehicle safely on a hoist.

12. Push the Rotunda Vacutec remote starter trigger to refill to the maximum pressure of the Intake Manifold and Engine System with smoke again.

NOTE WHEN THE INTAKE MANIFOLD AND ENGINE SYSTEM HAS REACHED MAXIMUM PRESSURE, YOU MAY SEE SMOKE COMING FROM THE RELIEF VALVE LOCATED ON THE REAR SIDE OF THE ROTUNDA VACUTEC - 522 UNIT. STOP PUSHING THE REMOTE STARTER BUTTON.

13. Check the underside of the engine compartment for smoke.

NOTE IF YOU DON'T SEE SMOKE AND ARE UNABLE TO LOCATE THE LEAK, REFER TO THE PC/ED MANUAL OR WORKSHOP MANUAL FOR OTHER DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES.

NOTE IT IS POSSIBLE TO HAVE A VACUUM OR AIR LEAK INSIDE THE VEHICLE IN THE PASSENGER COMPARTMENT. IF NO EXTERNAL LEAKS ARE FOUND, BE SURE TO VERIFY THAT NO SMOKE IS VISIBLE IN THE INTERIOR OF THE VEHICLE.

14. If you see the smoke, repair the leak source after carefully removing Halogen Light and Rotunda's Vacutec - 522 Remote Starter Power supply cables from the vehicle's battery terminals. Note: Follow PC/ED or Workshop Manual procedure for repairing the specific leak.

15. When the repair is completed. Clear DTC's if applicable. Repeat Step 1-13 only once to verify that the leak is repaired.

16. When the repair is verified and completed (Under Diagnostic Procedure Steps 1-13), perform the following:

a. Remove all diagnostic equipment from vehicle: tail pipe cone, car caps, halogen light, remote starter Power Supply Lines (Battery Cables), Black Hose, nozzle and tape used during this procedure.

b. Re-install the Intake Manifold vacuum source to the VMV port (it used) or any other Intake Manifold vacuum source as originally equipped.

c. Tightened all clamps and re-install all electric connectors and Plastic Shields (if equipped) that were removed during this test procedure.

d. Release vehicle.