Ford snr master
Ford snr master, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure
21020025

1998 Ford Taurus: turn signals..the fuses and nothing bulbs seem good

1998 Ford Taurus, all of a sudden the turn signals stopped working replaced the fuses and nothing bulbs seem good. Do not know what to do next.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford snr master replied 7 years ago.
good evening and thank you for inquiring with JustAnswer. i have just a few questions before i can determine what might be the cause.
1) Do your hazard flashers work?
2) when you turn on the turn signals what happens?
   do they just stay on solid, or do they flash once and go out?
3) are you somewhat familiar with automotive electrical in case i would like you test something by installing a jumper wire?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm not familiar with electrical at all sorry. When you turn on the turn signals nothing happens at all, no light no flash or anything either side. The flasher work are working.
if your flashers are working and your turnsignals do not then you have a bad multifunction switch (turn signal switch). usually the flasher relay fails but they lights would come on steady. I suggest replacing the multifunction switch,it is something anybody could realy do with just 2 tools, a phillips head screw driver and a 20 or 15 torqs driver. (all of which can be purchased at a local hardware or tool store as well as the autoparts store) if you need instructions how to replace the MF switch please let me know. also if you have any further questions, feel free to ask

I hope my assistance helped you and you are satisfied with my suggestion/answer, please leave positive feedback as it will be greatfully apreciated,thank you

Please note, your Deposit doesnt constitute a payment.Please click the 'ACCEPT' button to complete transaction or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated. If you feel the answer was able to save you significant time and money Bonuses are welcome and appreciated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX could you send me directions on how to change the MFswitch. I will attempt to do this. Thank you

Multi-Function Switch

Removal

1. Disconnect battery ground cable

1. Tilt column to lowest position and remove key release lever .

1. Remove ignition switch lock cylinder (part#3).

1. Remove shroud screws (part#9)and remove upper steering column shroud (part#2) and lower steering column shroud (part#8).

1. Remove two self-tapping TORX® screws(part#4) retaining multi-function switch (part#5) to steering column tube casting. Disengage multi-function switch from casting.

1. Disconnect the two electrical connectors.

Installation

1. Install two electrical connectors to full engagement.

1. Align multi-function switch mounting holes with corresponding holes in the steering column tube casting. Install two self-tapping TORX® screws making sure to start the TORX® screws in the previously tapped holes. Tighten to 2-3 Nm (18-26 lb-in).

1. Install upper steering column shroud and lower steering column shroud with screws.

1. Install ignition switch lock cylinder.

1. Install key release lever.

1. Connect battery ground cable.

1. Check steering column tube (3514) and multi-function switch for proper operation.graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you
just a quick post before you wonder how to remove the cylinder incase the instructions aren't clear, turn the key to RUN and insert a small screwdriver or long pin type device throught the small offset hole under the ignition cylinder next to the right rearward screwhole and push up against the pin inside the hole and pull the ignition cylinder out