Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

98 Ford Contour: Idle..(in park) at high revs but has no power

I have a 98 Ford Contour. Engine loping really bad at Idle. Will run (in park) at high revs but has no power when driving. I replaced the intake manifold gaskets and injector seals and tips. Replaced the oxygen sensor on the top of the exhaust manifold and the engine still lopes. The on-board diagnostics claims a vacuum leak in the #1 cylinder even after I replaced the gaskets and seals. I haven't done a compression test yet but, there is no oil in the water and no water in the oil so I don't believe it is a head gasket problem.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 years ago.

Hello Customer

Thanks for coming to Just Answer to ask a question.

What was the actual code you retrieved?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
These codes were recieved prior to replacing the intake manifold gaskets and oxygen sensor. The engine light went out but returned a few days later. We had it rechecked and the same codes appeared. My daughter drove the car about 350 miles to college and the next day the loping at idle started. Then I rechecked the intake manifold and the gaskets were unmolested. That is when I replaced the seals and tips on the injectors. I also replaced the fuel filter and made sure there was plenty of gas coming from the fuel pump. I got soaked with a river of gas out of the line, so I assume that the pump is fine. and the loping did not go away. I cannot get the car to a place to have the codes checked again since it hasn't enough power to drive. Here is what the readouts said:

The computer has recognized a rich or lean condition on one engine bank only
1-If bank one and two codes set together suspect fuel pressure or Mass Air flow sensor
2-Oxygen sensor defective
3-Ignition misfire-repair
4-fuel injector problem
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I need an answer within the next hour and a half. I have to leave to work on the car and it is 350 miles from where I am. I may have to try and get parts before I leave since the car is in Weed, Calif. and there is only 1 auto parts store there. Thanks.
I must have the actual codes which were retrieved to be able to offer my best assistance?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This is a lean code for all 4 cylinders. This can be caused by low fuel pressure or cam timing issues or from vacuum leaks. You can easily find vacuum leaks by idling a engine and spraying carb cleaner around the PCV and vacuum hoses and if a leak is hit the idle speed will increase.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
By the work I have done to it and all that I have said, What do you think it is? I will accept your best guess? At this point I am shooting in the dark.
My best guess is going to be vacuum hose leaks. But I see plenty of cam timing issues as well as fuel pressure concerns.