Brian, Ford Shop Foreman
Experience:  Ford Senior Master certified Tech, 36 years Ford technician.

I own a 2004 Thunderbird. I have a transmission problem and

I own a 2004 Thunderbird. I have a transmission problem and I understand that Ford sent out a Customer Satisfaction Program ( a letter) that some 2004 and 2005 Thuderbirds had a transmission fluid problem. The Ford dealer here in Tulsa are telling me that this never happened and they have no record of transmission problems with these Thunderbirds. I had a lady come into my office thinking I had bought her Thunderbird (which was not hers) and I told he my problems with it and she said she had the same problem but she received a letter telling her about the transmission problem and take the car in to a dealer. I'm willing to pay to have my car fixed. The problem happens when I driving between 20 and 25 mph it seems like it tries to shift into second it changes it's mind and drops back down into first gear with a large banging noise. This stared when I had 12,000 miles on it in 2006 and I have been trying to get fixed ever since.

Joe Norton [email protected]
Category: Ford
Expert:  Brian replied 7 years ago.

There were (2) owner notification programs for transmission concerns on the 2004 Thunderbird, the first, 04B22 was for an additive to be added to the transmission fluid to help prevent a solenoid problem that would cause a harsh/delayed reverse engagement. The additive may have been added to your vehicle as this was released in 2004, the other is 07N08, which, if the vehicle is registered in California, the California emission warranty covers the transmission solenoids for 3year or 50,000 miles.As for the concern you are having, it will need to be diagnosed first to determine what the cause is, it may or may not be related to the solenoids.