Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Im replacing the Alternator on 1995 Ford E150 van, 4.9L six

I'm replacing the Alternator on 1995 Ford E150 van, 4.9L six (w/AC). Have everything disconnected -belt, mounting bolts (2), and all electrical - it's completely free. VERY little room - Smog pump underneath... radiator fan shroud in front... massive AC/heater blower fan black box assembly to left... the alternator mounting bracket is a monstrousity sorta' half-moon afair. I can roll and turn the alterrnator any sort of way but can't seem to find a position that will allow it out (front, leftside, or top - the alternator mounting bracket and engine are on right). What's next, radiator removal?

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Yes unfortunately in some cases on the 4.9 the alternator can only be removed by removing the radiator. In some cases removing the shroud and moving it over allows enough room.