Al Smitty
Al Smitty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, Ford Engine and Chassis Master Tech, Auto Tech Instructor

My car wont turn over it just clicks..ignition switch

my car wont turn over it just clicks then eventualy it will sometimes start i pulled off the starter and took it apart and cleaned off all the resido off the magnets and magneto but it didnt help so i was wondering is it my starter or my ignition switch or is it more complicated than that?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Al Smitty replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.
The other experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, It would help us to know a little more information.

-What is the year, make, and model of your Ford?
-How many miles are on your Ford?
-What have you already tried?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it is a 1998 ford escort se it has about 160,000 miles on it.i got a new batery and i tried to clean the starter it szeamed to help a little but i think the person before me replaced it
Expert:  Al Smitty replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the reply.
I hate to even mention this, but have you tried to turn the crankshaft with a wrench. You should be able to turn it, if not the engine is siezed. Let me know if it does, and I'll help you diagnose from there.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it turns fine and runs alright its just geting it started
Expert:  Al Smitty replied 7 years ago.
Inspect the flywheel teeth. If the teeth are damaged, the starter gear moves out and hits the flywheel making the click noise, but will not mesh with the flywheel. Also the starter gear must fully mesh for it to spin. Take the starter out and turn the crank by hand slowly while inspecting the teeth. If damage is present, the flywheel will need replacement.

Best of luck