Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Ford.
2499435

2008 F250: chip..Powerstroke..fuel economy..the engine / turbo s / etc

Customer Question

Can I safely chip a new 2008 F250 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel for fuel economy and not damage the engine/turbos/etc? Superchip and Bully Dog seem to be popular choices for chips.

I just got the truck a month ago, love it, but only get about 14-15 mpg. Jeff
Category: Ford
Expert:  EMRSR replied 5 years ago.
Yes you can, just don't ever bring out to the dealer with any evidence of modification. If the "warranty police" get a hold of it, your warranty will get canceled.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Just to confirm, the engine, emission systems, turbos (I understand turbo heat and lubrication are critical to the turbo's durability), and any other peripheral systems won't be affected by chipping the engine for fuel economy. Which chips are best for fuel economy/reliability in your experience, for the 2008 6.4L F250, and at what point (chip setting for towing, horsepower, or otherwise) do I need to go to the expense of replacing the head bolts with stronger ones ( bolts are maybe $500, and labor estimated at $2,000).

Northwest Customs suggests a superchip ($400), and possibly air intake and then exhaust. If I do the exhaust, then my understanding is the exhaust has to have the same cut out vents in the tip so it cools the exhaust the same way, so that the emissions will work the same.

My question is a multi part question, so please take the time to answer. I appreciate a detailed technical answer. I am looking at if it is practical to do the air intake, chip, and exhaust without huting the engine. These engines are extremely expensive to replace, $22,000 according to Ford.

Which brands of exhaust, chips, and air intakes do you recommend?

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 years ago.

Hello Red,

Thanks for coming to Just Answer to ask a question.

Different expert here

Its your truck and you can do with it as you please but any modification you do which causes damage makes you now the warranty company meaning your now liable for any and all failures. Which is just not limited to the engine alone. It can also include the transmission and axles and steering and brakes and AC cooling.

Diesels a re made to last and there made to last because they are detuned so they dont work so hard. Once you surpass this limit then you open your self up for premature fatigue and stress.

The 6.4L does not have the head bolt concern like the 6.0 so this is not an area of concern. This truck meets emissions compliance. So if you remove the DPF i nthe exhaust thats a federal crime punishable with a 10,000$ fine. If you replace the air filter assembly you will disturb the MAF and cause high emissions and destroy the DPF exhaust. If you chip or program it then there is no need to take it back to the ford dealer since the warranty, all 100k of it is void.

The best mods I have seen on the ford diesel are edge, and bully dog and banks but those were on 6.0L's. I have not had a vehicle come in for warranty repairs on a 6.4 which has been modified. There warranties were voided at the front desk and not in the techs stall.

So to answer the questions:

Can I safely chip a new 2008 F250 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel for fuel economy and not damage the engine/turbos/etc? NO

I just got the truck a month ago, love it, but only get about 14-15 mpg. For an engine this big and a truck this heavy and setup to tow this much weight 15mpg is not bad.

Northwest Customs suggests a superchip ($400), and possibly air intake and then exhaust. These places sell parts, there in no connection to ford or navistar and dont care if you tear up your truck. All they want is to sell parts at whatever expense to the customer.

You run the risk of a 10k fine, 22k engine, 4k engine. Then who is to say these parts will not also fail from the mods. So this can be a endless cycle just to get a few more mpg. It would take alot of mpg in crease to warrant these costs.

Not the answer you probably wanted but the correct one from a ford wrench turner whom deals with ford tech hotline and mad customers blaming ford for there 1000 ftlb torque engines tearing up.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the input,

And I realize alot of people chip their trucks for horsepower and max torque, seeking hp gains of 175hp or more, and 1,000 - 1300 lb-ft of torque, and that realize that stresses engines and can damage the engine. I am not seeking to go that route and am satisfied generally with the power level I have, I just want to know about chipping it for fuel economy, which also results in a mild 40 hp increase, and 80 lb-ft of torque increase. I don't think the hp and torque increase will blow the engine, but if the programming changes that also affect shift points and other systems , may ruin the engine, cause overheating of the turbos, etc. That's what I want to know. I have no desire to build a 700 hp monster.

To get more fuel economy you have to make more power so your in the fuel pedal less and you have to increase boost pressures so the engine makes more bang per each revolution than it previously did.If you want to install the smalliest chip or programmer they offer then by all means do it. I am just answering your very first sentence. Can I safely do this and that answer is no. Anything above standard is not recommmended thus not safe and yes any mod will void the warranty. So is the questions safe for the truck or safe for the wallet.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Can you explain this, as it could be taken two different ways:

"To get more fuel economy you have to make more power so your in the fuel pedal less and you have to increase boost pressures so the engine makes more bang per each revolution than it previously did."

Does that mean the engine would need more boost with less fuel to make more power with less gas, in order to increase fuel economy with chipping it? Or does it mean I should just watch the boost gauge with my stock setup and use more boost to accelerate quicker from 0 to the speed limit (wherever I am driving at the time), in order to get more fuel economy?

To get more mpg out of an anegine without altering your vehicles aerodynamics or towed load or driving style you must have a engine that makes more power which means your hitting the accelerator less to go a set distance. A chip or prgorammer will make more power by adding more fuel which barely gives you more mog due to the more fuel it wastes. They also boost up the turbo so the compression level is higher so you get more power coming from each cylinder stroke than before.