Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

HOW DO I RESET CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON 2007 FORD EXPLORER THAT

Customer Question

HOW DO I RESET CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON 2007 FORD EXPLORER THAT WAS BEING CAUSED BY A BROKEN WIRE GOING TO TDC SENSOR ON ENGINE, REPAIRED WIRING BUT LIGHT STILL ON
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.

There are only 2 ways on newer vehicles to reset the check engine light - either with a code reader/diagnostic scanner, or to go thru 50 drive cycles without PCM detecting same fault again. After 50 driving cycles without a fault, the PCM will erase the code and turn off check engine light.

Unless you are in California where parts stores are prohibited from resetting the light, you can go by Autozone, Discount Auto Parts or other major parts store and they will reset it for free.

You are no longer able to erase codes and reset the light simply by disconnecting the battery.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I HAVE JUST BEEN ABLE TO READ YOUR ANSWER THREE DAYS AFTER MY QUESTION. I GOT THE INFO I NEED FROM FORD CHAT SYSTEM ON THE INTERNET, AND WAS TOLD TO JUST DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE LEAD ON THE BATTERY FOR 20 MINUTES IF I DIDN'T LIVE IN CALIF. OR DIDN'T NEED TO PASS AN ATOMOTIVE EMISSION TEST.

THAT WORKED VERY WELL FOR MY 2007 FORD EXPLORER EDDIE BAURER MODEL WITH THE 4.0L ENGINE.

PERHAPS YOU NEED TO LOOK AT YOU NOTES AGAIN BEFORE MAKING THE STATEMENT ABOUT DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY LEAD ON NEWER MODELS, DO NOT WORK ,HOWEVER, FOR FORD IT STILL WORKS.