lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.

2004 ford taurus power steering pump making noise when tur

2004 ford taurus power steering pump making noise when turning
Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 4 years ago.
Hi Customer. Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-How many miles are on your Ford?
-What type of engine is in your Ford?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
150,000 miles 3.0 v6 engine. I've checked the power steering fluid and it's full. I've also just replaced the serpentine belt not long ago.
Expert:  lostrider replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the reply, when the steering pump starts making noise there is internal damage in the pump and the only fix is to replace the pump, and have the system flushed out to remove all the old fluid, power steering fluid is just like transmission fluid and it will lose its breaks down under heat and age,here is the parts and labor to replace the pump, hope this helps.

Parts Information
PartOEM PartPrice
Power Steering Pump
P/S PumpYF1Z3A674DBRM$132.00
LaborSkill
Level
Mfg.
Warranty
Standard
Power Steering Pump
ReplaceB1.6
Flex FuelB1.6
At the current labor rate for your area.

LaborSkill
Level
Mfg.
Warranty
Standard
Steering
Flush
Power Steering System, FlushB0.00.6

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What is skill level B? I just replaced the piston rings and rod bearings in my honda crx. Is his something that i could do myself?
Expert:  lostrider replied 4 years ago.

Skill level B is mechanically inclined, if you have the special tools required to replace the pump then you can do this job, it requires a pulley remover and installer, here is the procedure and you can judge for your self.

Notes

Power Steering Pump-3.0L (2V) CII

graphic

Special Tool(s)

Removal and Installation

1. Rotate the tensioner clockwise and remove the belt from the power steering pump pulley.

graphic

1. Loosen the fitting and disconnect the power steering pressure hose.

graphic

1. Disconnect the electrical connector.

graphic

1. Disconnect the power steering return line.

graphic

1. Using the special tool, remove the power steering pump pulley.

graphic

1. Remove the power steering pump mounting bolts and the pump.
  2. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

graphic

1. NOTE: The pulley must be installed within 0.25 mm (0.010 inch) flush with the power steering pump shaft. Using the special tool, install the power steering pump pulley.

1. Fill and leak check the system.

lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.