Steve Jensen
Steve Jensen, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE Master Technician 33 years experience
17024452

99 F350: loud..Torque Converter..I bought the truck 70,000 miles ago

Customer Question

I have a 99 F350 with a very loud Torque Converter. It has been like that since I bought the truck 70,000 miles ago. Do I need to be worried about it? I see in the forums that "it should be replaced" but does it really, 70,000 miles later?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve Jensen replied 7 years ago.
Does the torque converter make a rattley or grinding type noise that you hear when the engine is idling? Steve

If this type of noise that it is making, then there is a service bulletin related to the noise which is shown below. That being said, I have seen many of these trucks (with the converter rattling) run for years without replacing the torque converter and without causing any problem. Steve

LIGHT TRUCK:1998-1999 ECONOLINE
1999 F-250 HD, F-350, SUPER DUTY F SERIES

ISSUE:

A "rattling" noise in the converter housing area when the torque converter clutch is not engaged may occur on some vehicles. This may be caused by impact between the converter piston and cover spline teeth internal to the cover.

ACTION:

Replace the torque converter. The revised torque converter incorporates a new piston and damper design which reduces the possibility of impact between the clutch piston and cover spline teeth. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

NOTE:DO NOT USE THIS CONVERTER TO FIX OTHER CONVERTER ISSUES. THIS CONVERTER IS SPECIFICALLY FOR REPAIR OF 1998 AND 1999 DIESEL RATTLE ISSUES AS MENTIONED IN THIS TSB.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Run self test and repair and diagnose any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) present before continuing.
  2. If rattling is still present, place the transmission gear selector lever in Park.
  3. Using a breakout box, ground Pin 54 (TCC). This will fully apply the torque converter clutch.
  4. Cycle the torque converter clutch on and off a few times by applying and removing the ground to Pin 54.
  5. If the rattling/scrapping noise is not present when the converter is applied (Pin 54 grounded), replace the Torque Converter (XL3Z-7902-DARM).

PART NUMBERPART NAME
XL3Z-7902-DARMTorque Converter

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: