Steve, Service Manager
Experience:  25+ years experience as a professional technician ; ASE L1 master Technician

I just bought a 1994 Ford Econoline Conversion Van. While taking

I just bought a 1994 Ford Econoline Conversion Van. While taking it home it had a severe miss and jerked terribly. Took it to one mechanic who had it for 2.5 weeks and said he didn't know what was wrong as nothing showing up on the "computer". The next mechanic said he thought it might be water in the gas to drive it and if it got better great if not then we'd know what was wrong. Well, we did and the motor blew. Just got it back with new motor and all that goes with it as well as new alternator, starter, radiator, etc. While it is running a lot better, it still has a miss with jerk when accelerating. Now, the mechnic that did the motor said he thinks its either a relay or a sensor that is going bad, but just hasn't yet and that's why it's not showing up on "The Computer". Can anyone help me narrow down which relay or sensor it may be?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve replied 7 years ago.
   If the misfire only occurs durint acceleration, there is a very good chance that it is being caused by an ignition component.   Marginal ignition components generally start showing symptoms during acceleration.
   I would check to make sure that the spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, and ignition coil have all been repalced.   These are normal tune-up parts that need to be replaced periodically for maintenance, and a problem with any one of these things can cause symptoms much like you describe.
   If you can find a mechanic with a portable ignition scope, test driving the van with the scope connected (or if you can get it to act up sitting still and accelerating that would work too) might show which cylinder is droipping out under load.
   A failing fuel injector can give similiar symptoms, but can be much more difficult to identify.