Ford snr master
Ford snr master, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure

1999 ford: Drivers side..side power window stopped working

Customer Question

1999 ford windstar.. Drivers side power window stopped working. two things I have noticed..
1. When the switch is operated it sounds like a relay under the dash is cycling.
2. When I measured the wiring at the door switch.. the passengers side wiring had 12 V ( and it works) the drivers side did not have 12 V anywhere..
Assuming I have a fuse problem of some sort but can't seen to find the fuse..?

Best regards, XXXXX
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford snr master replied 7 years ago.
first i would like you to test at the drivers window switch, the light blue/black wire should have 12v on it with the key in ON position
i just uploaded the wiring diagrams for your window circuits so you can have an idea what i am advising you of and can follow me while looking at the same diagram. click the small images for them to open in a new window
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the light Blue/ Black stripe wire has 12V..
ok, you have power to your switch then. next i would like you to remove the door panel so we can test for 12v as well as ground to the motor. do you need an ilustration as to how to remove the door panel?
  1. Remove the window regulator control switch (14529).
  1. Remove the door handle escutcheon.
  1. Remove the mirror access cover.
  1. Disconnect the electrical connectors.
  1. Remove the front door trim panel screws.
  1. Remove the front door trim panel (23942).
  1. If equipped, remove the courtesy lamp.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
did you get my message from yesterday? the motor has 2 wires going into it.. I went across them to check voltage with the yey on and switch in neutral position. Zero volts till I cycled the switch. There is voltage present but the multimeter does not register actual number (it's trying to figure out in auto mode best peak i could see was 2V) this happens fast as the relay seems to click out and remove power.
i would like you then to perform a continuity test from the switch to theFEM (front electronics module located near the left frt corner of drivers side footwell) on the brown/yellow, black/orange wires , and from the FEM to the motor on the black/ yellow and orange/yellow wires