Ford snr master
Ford snr master, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure
21020025

F-150 FX4: 5.4 liter..the heater fan only runs on high speed

ford pick-up f-150 FX4 5.4 liter the heater fan only runs on high speed?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford snr master replied 5 years ago.
if you have a manual climate control system and not the EATC then this is a very common issue on all lines of vehicles, i am fairly certain you have a bad blower resistor. if you want to double check you can jump the brown/white wire at the resistor to the dark blue/ white wire with the fan switch in med-high position( 1 speed lower than high) and see if the blower comes on.
Experience: 14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where would I find these wires? do you have some kind of a diagram for this?
i am unable to upload the diagram because it is in SVG format and isn't supported on this site but i will post a picture of the r&r procedure of the resistor to give you an idea how to get at it and use the wiring colors as mentioned above to test the resistor by bypassing it. if the blower comes on by bypassing the resistor then you have a failed resistor which is very common

graphic

Removal and Installation

1. NOTE: The blower motor resistor can be accessed from below the RH side of the instrument panel.

Disconnect the blower motor resistor electrical connector.
  1. Remove the 2 blower motor resistor screws.
  1. Remove the blower motor resistor.
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure
the resistor is located behind the glovebox and no removal of any other parts is neccesary to access it
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when you say the the r/h side of the instrument panel, does that mean the dash over above the glove box or does it mean the r/h hand side of the dash where the driver sits? with this connection disconnected will the blower motor still run?

the resistor is located behind the glovebox, and either lower the glovebox to access it or reach in from under the dash behind the glove box to access it. it sits above the blower motor towards the passenger seat, i have posted a picture, the angle of the picture is showing the heatercase behind the glovebox, angled from the shifter looking towards glovebox. with the resistor unplugged your HI speed should still work. likely the thermal limiter in the resistor shorted out from overheating,which is fairly normal if the blower is used mostly on low speed settings

please let me know if you need additional assistance, though i do believe you have a faulty resistor.

I hope my assistance helped you and you are satisfied with my suggestion/answer, please leave positive feedback as it will be greatfully apreciated,thank you

Please note, your Deposit doesnt constitute a payment.Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON to complete transaction or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated. If you feel the answer was able to save you significant time and money Bonuses are welcome and appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you very much.. that was the problem.. Have a nice day!!!

thank you for updating me, if you are satisfied with my reccomendation please leave positive feedback, i would greatfully apreciate it