Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas

1995 F150 questions Clutch pedal went to floor. Fluid level

1995 F150 questions

Clutch pedal went to floor. Fluid level normal. Something is not right (ya think?).   Attempted to bleed slave cylinder but proably did not do it correctly. Opened bleeder and let fluid run through (kept adding fluid from up top never let it run dry). So whats the question already?
Is this type of problem asssociated with the master cyl or slave cyl. It just went to the floor
do not see any fluid anywhere.

Also for the same vehicle. How hard is it to install an aftermarket speedometer? 1/2 of the dash does not work, only ampere gauge and fuel gauge. Is there a cable from transmission or does it get speed signal from the rear??

Thankinf you in advance for your time and attention to this inquiry.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thanks for using Just Answer, form what you have described it sounds as though the clutch slave cylinder is either bypassing internally or is defective.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How about the speedometer portion of my question?
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

The speedometer is connected to the output shaft of the transmission by means of a flexible shaft (core), and a drive gear located inside the park brake assembly. The core drives the speedometer which registers speed in miles per hour (also in kilometers per hour). It also drives an odometer which records distance traveled in miles and tenths of a mile (also in kilometers and tenths of a kilometer).

All vehicles equipped with gasoline (EFI) engines and/or automatic transmission have a speed sensor attached to the park brake assembly. This is used to sense vehicle speed required for the engine/transmission management system and to regulate the speed control system for vehicles so equipped.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So there is a place on the transmission I can run a cable up to an aftermarket speedometer then?
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

1. Raise the vehicle on a hoist.

2.Disengage the cable assembly from the park brake assembly and remove from the transmission.

NOTE: Remove the speedometer cable by pulling it out of the speed sensor. Do not attempt to remove the spring retainer clip with the speedometer cable in the sensor. To install the speedometer cable, align the core with the sensor and snap cable assembly into the speed sensor.

3. Disconnect the speedometer cable from the speedometer.

graphic

Installation

1. Connect the speedometer cable to the speedometer head.
  1. Route the cable according to body builder specifications.
  1. Raise the vehicle on a hoist.
  1. Lubricate the cable core exposed at the transmission ferrule with Speedometer Cable Lubricant E6TZ-19581-A (ESF-M1C160-A) or equivalent.
  1. Apply a coating of Ford Multi-Purpose Grease D0AZ-19584-AA (ESR-M1C159-A and ESB-M1C93-A) or equivalent to the O-ring on the ferrule
  1. Lubricate the inside diameter and teeth of the driven gear with Speedometer Cable Lubricant E6TZ-19581-A (ESF-M1C160-A) or equivalent and install the driven gear on the ferrule.
  1. Assembly the driven gear retainer to the driven gear with the retainer tabs toward the gear teeth.
  1. Insert the driven gear and cable into the transmission and retain with clamp. Tighten the retaining screw to 2.25-2.82 Nm (20-25 in-lb).
  1. Secure the cable with clips/clamps at locations indicated by tape on the cable.

NOTE: The speedometer cable routing should avoid sharp bends; the cable should be straight for approximately 203mm (8 inches) from the speedometer.

1. Lower the vehicle.

You may just have defective speed sensor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The speedometer head only has a place for an electrical connection. I do not see a place to connect a cable to the instrument cluster so I assumed it sends an electronic signal from where ever the cable goes to from the trnasmission. Actually I see something cut on the bottom edge of the transmission and it may be the speedometer cable. Where does the cable go from the transmission?

Where is the speed sensor?
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

The speed sensor is located on top of the rear differential.

Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module (PSOM)

The programmable electric analog speedometer receives its input from the anti-lock brake sensor except on F-Super Duty Motorhome Chassis where it receives its input from the park brake-mounted speed sensor. The liquid crystal display (LCD) odometer is a combination trip odometer and total odometer. The total odometer is normally displayed. To see the trip odometer, press and release the SELECT button on the upper right side of the speedometer. To zero out the trip odometer, press and release the RESET button on the upper left side of the speedometer while the trip odometer is displayed. If the trip odometer is displayed, press and release the SELECT button to return the display to the total odometer value. The speedometer, containing the trip odometer and total mileage odometer, is serviceable only as an instrument cluster (10849) assembly.

Federal law requires that the odometer in any replacement speedometer must register the same mileage as that registered on the removed speedometer/odometer. Service replacement speedometer/odometer and odometer modules with the mileage preset to actual vehicle mileage are available through Ford Electronic Service Centers. In nearly all instances, the mileage continues to accumulate in the odometer memory even if the odometer does not display mileage. This mileage can usually be verified by the electronic service centers. Contact the service center for instructions to receive a replacement speedometer/odometer or odometer module with the mileage preset to actual mileage.

If the actual vehicle mileage cannot be verified, the service center will supply a speedometer/odometer module with the odometer display preset to zero ("0") miles and the service odometer segment ("s") illuminated in the vicinity of the odometer display. In addition, an odometer mileage sticker is supplied with the replacement odometer. This sticker must display the estimated vehicle mileage and is to be affixed to the driver's door.

NOTE: Before ordering an instrument cluster (10849), contact the instrument cluster technical hotline for diagnostic and system troubleshooting assistance. The hotline phone number is XXXXX

The speedometer is also used to provide a speed signal for correct operation of the vehicle's powertrain control module (PCM) (12A650), transmission (7003), and speed control (if so equipped). Because of this, it is VERY IMPORTANT to change the speedometer's internal conversion constant if the size of tires on the vehicle is changed. Changing the conversion constant to the proper value when the tires are changed will also make sure that the speedometer retains the original factory-set accuracy. The conversion constant can only be changed six times once the vehicle leaves the factory. On F-Super Duty Motorhome Chassis the conversion constant must never be changed. If tires or rear axle ratio is changed, the gear in the transmission drive gear must be changed.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can the whole electronic speedometer odometer system be replaced with a cable driven aftermarket (stewart-warner?)one? The transmission may have been changed if so could one with the old style cable driven system have been installed? Thanks for your attention to my ramblings
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

Yes if the truck has an older transmission. Prior to 94.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can a 94 or older transmission be put into a 95? And I thank you in advance of your answer.
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

Yes but you will have to change so much, it seems more logical to just repair the problems you are having now.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was just told the same thung by company. What sucks is that the oil pressure, water temp, speedometer AND odometer do not work. I guess replacing the sensor may bring the speedometer/odoometer back to life. The oil/water may be a separate problem

Would a bad speed sensor disabe the whole deal at the instrument cluster??
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

That may be the whole problem, yes.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So the speed sensor just gets bolted into the top of the pumpkin? Do you have a diagram of the speed sensor?
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

Here you go

graphic

Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your help Shawn
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
You are welcome.