Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

Torque specs on a 1993 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 front wheel bearing?

Are there torque spec's on a 1993 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 front wheel bearing?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Yes, there are specific torque specs:

• Install the inner adjusting nut with the pin facing out. Tighten the inner adjusting nut to 35 ft. lbs. (6 Nm) to seat the bearings.
  • Follow the appropriate wheel bearing adjustment procedures:
  •  

Adjustment:

WITH MANUAL LOCKING HUBS

See Figure 22

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 22: Exploded view of the manual locking hubs and wheel bearings

1. Tighten the inner locknut to 35 ft. lbs. (6 Nm) to seat the bearings.
    2. Spin the rotor and back off the inner locknut 1 / 4 turn. Install the lockwasher on the spindle. Retighten the inner locknut to 16 inch lbs. (1.8 Nm). It may be necessary to turn the inner locknut slightly so that the pin on the locknut aligns with the closest hole in the lockwasher.
    3. Install the outer wheel bearing locknut using 4 prong spindle nut spanner wrench, tool T86T-1197-A or equivalent. Tighten locknut to 150 ft. lbs.
    4. Install the axle shaft spacer.
    5. Clip the snapring onto the end of the spindle.
    6. Install the manual hub assembly over the spindle. Install the retainer washers.
    7. Install the wheel and tire assembly. Install and torque lug nuts to specification.
    8. Check the end-play of the wheel and tire assembly on the spindle. End-play should be 0.001-0.003 in. (0.025-0.076mm) and the maximum torque to rotate the hub should be 25 inch lbs. (2.8Nm).

WITH AUTOMATIC LOCKING HUBS

See Figure 23

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 23: Exploded view of the automatic locking hubs and wheel bearings

2. Spin the rotor and back off the inner locknut 1 / 4 turn (90°). Retighten the locknut to 16 inch lbs. (1.8 Nm).
    3. Align the closest lug in the bearing adjusting nut with the center of the spindle keyway slot. Advance the nut to the next if required.
    4. Install the separate locking key in the spindle keyway under the adjusting nut.
    Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
    Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician