SuperBob, Ford Senior Master, Mazda Senior
Experience:  18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical

2006 Ford Escape: driver side brake light not to work..bulb..headlamps

What could cause the driver side brake light not to work on a 2006 Ford Escape? The bulb is fine as it lights up when I turn on the headlamps.
Category: Ford
Expert:  SuperBob replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer your bulb has two elements inside, and either element can blow independant of the other, the brake lamp element is much brighter and uses more voltage to light up than the park lamp element, I would suggest swapping the bulb with the other side and see if the problem follows the bulb.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I actually bought a new bulp and changed it out..just in case. And yeah..I can see both is much larger than the other.
Expert:  SuperBob replied 7 years ago.
Does it work with the new bulb?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No brake light..only the tail light(or headlamp light..what ever you want to call it). I turn on the headlamps and the smaller element will light up..I tap the brakes...nothing happens. The passenger side and 'third' brakelights do work.
Expert:  SuperBob replied 7 years ago.
ok, let me check something. I will return momentarily
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok. Thanks Bob.
Expert:  SuperBob replied 7 years ago.

I have attached the workshop manual wire diagram for that bulb. Being that the park brake works, we know the ground wire to the bulb is good as both elements share the same ground source. This leaves the wiring from the fuse box, the connector ends, or a problem in the fuse box itself. We will need a 12 volt test light to test the circuit, do you have access to a test light?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No..but I have my trusty radio shack voltage meter.
Expert:  SuperBob replied 7 years ago.
ok, connect the black wire of your volt meter to a known good ground source or touch it to the solid black wire in the drivers side bulb connector, and (with the volt meter on the 12 volt setting) touch the red lead to the light blue wire that has a black stripe. Have an assistant press the brake pedal and see if the volt meter indicates battery voltage, let me know what you find. (touch your probes to the metal portion of the pins in the connector to each wire i've indicated)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Odd..I pulled the bulbs off both side of lights..both read .04 volt for tail lights and 11.77 volts for brake. I'm going to try the working bulb on that side now.
Expert:  SuperBob replied 7 years ago.
Ok, I will be here. let me know what you find and we will proceed from there.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hey Bob..turns out the first bulb in the new pack of two was defective. After getting a good voltage I knew something was up with the bulb..I used the second one in the pack and worked. Thanks for the voltage suggestion..that pointed me in the correct direction.
Expert:  SuperBob replied 7 years ago.
You are very welcome, great job!