Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

how do you change out the fuel filter on a 2004 Ford Explorer.

Customer Question

how do you change out the fuel filter on a 2004 Ford Explorer. 6 cyl
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Here are directions:

• Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the -Precautions- section.
  • Disconnect the battery ground cable.
  • Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
  • Raise the vehicle on a hoist.
  • Remove the bolts and the fuel filter heat shield.
  • Remove the nuts and the fuel filter shield.
  • Disconnect the quick release and spring lock couplings and remove the fuel filter.

Click image to see an enlarged view
  • Click image to see an enlarged view

graphic

Fuel line fittings:

Push Connect Fittings

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Disconnect the safety clip from the male hose

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Install the tool and push it into the fitting

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Separate the fittings

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Align the tube and fitting and push together until you hear a click

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Pull on the fitting to make sure it-s secure, then install the safety clip

Spring Lock Coupling

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the safety clip, install the spring lock coupling disconnect tool

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Close the tool

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Push the tool into the open side of the cage

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Separate the coupler

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the tool

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Lubricate the O-rings with 5W-30 oil

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Push the coupler together until the garter spring in engaged

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Pull on the coupler to make sure it-s fully engaged

Ford disconnect tool is about $2 at any parts store:

Fuel line pressure relief:

• Before servicing the vehicle, please familiarize yourself with safety procedures.
    NOTE The fuel pump relay is located in the battery junction box (BJB) location C-1051.
  • Remove the fuel pump relay.
  • Start the engine and allow it to idle until it stalls.
  • After the engine stalls, crank the engine for approximately 5 seconds to make sure the fuel rail pressure has been released.
  • Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
  • When the fuel system service is complete, install the fuel pump relay.
    NOTE It may take more than one key cycle to pressurize the fuel system.
  • Cycle the ignition key and wait 3 seconds to pressurize the fuel system. Check for leaks before starting the engine.
  • Start the vehicle and check the fuel system for leaks