Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

Hood release cable broke how do I open hood and how do I replace

Hood release cable broke how do I open hood and how do I replace the cable assembly, HELP.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Ford?
-What model is your Ford?

-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My PU is a 1991 Ford F 150XXXXX I was going to put oil in the engine, I pulled on the hood release and the cable broke, other than cussing I don't know what eles to do to open the hood, and I'm going to have to replace the cable, will it just go thru the assembly? I need help.
Did the cable break at the pull lever or did alot of cable come out with the release lever in hand?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It broke at the pull lever.

OKay lets first use some pliers and see if we can grab a hold of the cable and pull it. Do this while a helper smacks the hood with the palms of there hands to aid in the release disconnecting. If this fails then you will need to go through the grill and try and get to the cable to pull it there or cut it there and pull the wire inside the cable there. if this fails then try to go through the grill and remove the bolts from the latch or striker. Sometimes you must sacrfice the grill to gain access especailly if you cant get your hands in. Other than that there is no other less destructive methods.

Define destruction= I have customers come in which took grinders to there hood and cut a hole where the latch is, Ouch.