EMRSR
EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager
Experience:  20 years with Ford, Master Certified
18136160

98 Ford Escort Sport: The timing belt..ZX2

Customer Question

The timing belt on my 98 Ford Escort Sport ZX2 has broken three times in as many months and the second time i had the cogs replaced but that hasnt seemed to help why would this still be happening
Category: Ford
Expert:  EMRSR replied 5 years ago.

Improper installation or a pulley seizing.

Service and Repair
Notes

See TSB 99-25-4

Note: Ford does not provide camshaft gear timing marks, or information to perform timing belt service without the special tools shown in this procedure.

Special Tools

Removal

1. Remove the spark plugs.
  2. Rotate the crankshaft to top dead center (No. 1 cylinder).

1. Install the Crankshaft TDC Timing Peg.

1. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise against the peg.
  2. Raise the vehicle

1. Remove the bolts and splash shield.
  2. Lower the vehicle.
  3. Remove the water pump pulley.
  4. Remove the valve cover.
  5. Remove the timing belt covers.

1. Install the Alignment Tool and align the camshafts.
  2. CAUTION: If the camshaft timing belt is to be reused, mark the direction of the camshaft timing belt to rotation of camshaft prior to removal or premature wear or failure may occur.

1. Relieve the tension on the timing belt tensioner pulley.
    • Loosen the tensioner pulley bolt
    • Release tension on the timing belt by disconnecting the tensioner tab from the timing cover back plate.

1. Slide the timing belt off camshaft sprockets and crankshaft sprockets.
  2. Inspect the timing belt for wear. Replace as required.

See TSB 99-25-4

Installation

1. Verify the camshaft alignment using the Camshaft Alignment Timing Tool. See: Timing Components\Tools and Equipment
  2. Note: To tighten the tensioner pulley bolt, use a Torque Adapter (3/8" drive, 10 mm, 2" offset). Follow the removal procedure in reverse order
Timing Belt/Tensioner - Revised Setup Procedure
Notes
Article No.
99-25-4

12/13/99

ENGINE - 2.0L - REVISED TIMING BELT AND
TENSIONER SETUP PROCEDURE

FORD:
1998-2000 CONTOUR, ESCORT ZX2
2000 FOCUS

MERCURY:
1998-2000 MYSTIQUE
1999-2000 COUGAR

ISSUE
This TSB article is being published to provide correct service procedure for setting up cam timing belt and tensioner, due to the procedure being inaccurate in the Workshop Manual.

ACTION
During a timing belt servicing, refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE TO ACHIEVE PROPER TIMING BELT TENSION, THE CAMSHAFT SPROCKET BOLTS SHOULD BE LOOSENED ENOUGH TO PERMIT THE SPROCKETS TO TURN FREELY ON THE CAMSHAFTS. WITH CAM SPROCKET BOLTS LOOSENED AND CYLINDER #1 AT TOP DEAD CENTER (TDC), CRANKSHAFT MUST BE ROTATED TO TDC IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION (INSTALL CAMSHAFT ALIGNMENT TOOL IN THE CAMSHAFT SLOTS).

1.Back out the tensioner bolt four (4) full turns and position the tensioner so the locating tab is at approximately the 4 o'clock position. Line up the hex key slot in the tensioner adjusting washer with the pointer that is located behind the pulley (Figure 1).

2.Working counterclockwise from the crank sprocket, install the liming belt.

3.Rotate the tensioner locating tab counterclockwise and insert the locating tab into the slot in the rear timing cover (Figure 2).

4.Position the hex key slot in the tensioner adjusting washer to the 4 o'clock position (Figure 2).

5.Tighten the attaching bolt enough to seat the tensioner firmly against the rear timing cover, but still allow the tensioner adjusting washer to be rotated using a 6 mm hex key (Figure 2).

6.Using the hex key, rotate the adjusting washer counterclockwise until the notch in the pointer is centered over the index line on the locating tab. (The pointer will move in a clockwise direction during adjustment) (Figure 3).

7.While holding the adjusting washer in position, torque the attaching bolt to 25 +/- 3 N.m (18 +/- 2 lb-ft) (Figure 4).

NOTE IF THE POINTER DOES NOT REMAIN CENTERED OVER THE INDEX LINE DURING FINAL TIGHTENING, LOOSEN THE BOLT AND REPEAT THE PROCEDURE BEGINNING WITH STEP 4.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE
WARRANTY STATUS: INFORMATION ONLY
OASIS CODES: 490000, 499000