kevin
kevin, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  7 years

2002 Focus ZTS: airbag..the turn signals..under warranty..dealerships

2002 Focus ZTS with 68K miles.   The airbag clock spring has been replaced 3 times for not cancelling the turn signals at a cost of $600 each time (Fixed once under warranty). Each time we ask the dealerships about this they respond like it is the first time they have ever heard of this problem, yet it seems to be all over the internet. My question is : Is there a problem with the operation of the airbag if it is just a broken plastic tab responsible for cancelling the turn signal and is there an upgraded part available for this? Thank you
Category: Ford
Expert:  kevin replied 4 years ago.
There is a technical service bulliten that addresses this concern, your supposed to add a spacer along with a revised clock spring, I will send you the technical info so you can find out if they did this bulliten the first time.

Some 2000-2002 Focus Vehicles may over time exhibit a turn signal cancel concern. A service procedure has been developed to resolve this concern.

ACTION:

To service, install a spacer during sliding contact replacement. Refer to the following Service Procedure.

NOTE:SPACER INSTALLATION IS ONLY REQUIRED FOR VEHICLES BUILT ON OR BEFORE 4/4/2002.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

DEPOWER SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM (SRS) SYSTEM

1. Turn all vehicle accessories OFF.
  2. Turn the ignition switch to OFF.
  3. At the central junction box (CJB), located below the LH side of the instrument panel, remove the cover and the restraints control module (RCM) fuse F60 (7.5A) from the CJB. For additional information, refer to the Wiring Diagram Manual.
  4. Turn the ignition ON and visually monitor the air bag indicator for at least thirty (30) seconds. The air bag indicator will remain lit continuously (no flashing) if the correct RCM fuse has been removed.

WARNING:IF THE AIR BAG INDICATOR DOES NOT REMAIN LIT CONTINUOUSLY THE WRONG FUSE WAS REMOVED, FIND AND REMOVE THE CORRECT RCM FUSE BEFORE PROCEEDING.

5. Turn the ignition OFF.

WARNING:TO AVOID ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY, THE BACKUP POWER SUPPLY MUST BE DEPLETED BEFORE REPAIRING OR REPLACING ANY FRONT OR SIDE AIR BAG (SRS) COMPONENTS, AND BEFORE SERVICING, REPLACING, ADJUSTING OR STRIKING COMPONENTS NEAR THE FRONT OR SIDE AIR BAG SENSORS, SUCH AS DOORS, INSTRUMENT PANEL, CONSOLE, DOOR LATCHES, STRIKERS, SEATS AND HOOD LATCHES.

6. Disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least one (1) minute. For additional information, refer to 2002 Online Workshop Manual Section 414-01: Battery, Mounting and Cables; Battery Cables; Removal.

CLOCKSPRING REPLACEMENT AND SPACER INSTALLATION

1. Remove the airbag sliding contact. Refer to 2002 Online Workshop Manual Section 501-20B: Supplemental Restraint System; Clockspring; Removal.
  2. With airbag sliding contact removed install 0.9 mm spacer # XXXXX onto the steering column
  3. Install new airbag sliding contact. Refer to 2002 Online Workshop Manual Section 501-20B: Supplemental Restraint System; Clockspring; Installation.

REPOWER SRS SYSTEM

1. Make sure all restraint system diagnostic tools installed during the repair are removed from the vehicle and all SRS components are connected.
  2. Turn the ignition switch ON.
  3. Install RCM fuse F60 (7.5A) into the CJB and close the cover.

WARNING:BE SURE THAT NO ONE IS IN THE VEHICLE AND THAT THERE IS NOTHING BLOCKING OR SITTING IN FRONT OF ANY AIR BAG MODULE WHEN THE BATTERY GROUND CABLE IS CONNECTED.

4. Connect the battery ground cable.
  5. Prove out the SRS as follows:
    1. Turn the ignition key from ON to OFF. Wait ten (10) seconds, then turn the key back to ON and visually monitor the air bag indicator with the air bag modules installed. The air bag indicator will light continuously for approximately six (6) seconds and then turn off.
    2. If an air bag SRS fault is present, the air bag indicator will either: FAIL TO LIGHT, REMAIN LIT CONTINUOUSLY or FLASH.

NOTE:THE FLASHING MIGHT NOT OCCUR UNTIL APPROXIMATELY THIRTY (30) SECONDS AFTER THE IGNITION SWITCH HAS BEEN TURNED FROM THE OFF TO THE ON POSITION. THIS IS THE TIME REQUIRED FOR THE (RCM) TO COMPLETE THE TESTING OF THE SRS. IF THE AIR BAG INDICATOR IS INOPERATIVE AND A SRS FAULT EXISTS, A CHIME WILL SOUND IN A PATTERN OF FIVE (5) SETS OF FIVE (5) BEEPS. IF THIS OCCURS, THE AIR BAG INDICATOR AND ANY SRS FAULT DISCOVERED MUST BE DIAGNOSED AND REPAIRED.

6. Clear all continuous (DTCs) from the restraints control module using a scan tool.

PART NUMBERPART NAME
YS4Z-14A664-CASliding Contact (2000-2001 Vehicles)
2M5Z-14A664-DASliding Contact (2002 Vehicles With IVD)
2M5Z-14A664-BASliding Contact (2002 Vehicles Without IVD)
W709947-S300Spacer

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:

NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:

kevin, Ford Mechanic
Experience: 7 years