Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience:  I've been working with American made cars since 1992.

Would a 1998 Ford Escort ZX2 car run if the 100AMP Main Fuse

Would a 1998 Ford Escort ZX2 car run if the 100AMP Main Fuse was blown? My son and I took his car into a national store for a simple battery change. When we returned we were told something else was wrong with the car. A friend of mine came out and found the Main 100 AMP fuse was blown and let the guys know something catatrophic happened while in their care. The store's insurance refuses to pay the costs to replace zapped alternator, starter and radio..claiming that the car may have been damaged before I drove it in as I did not turn off and restart the car prior to driving in the repair bay?? I have friends that claim that if the 100AMP fuse was blown prior to stopping my car, it would have shut down immediately and their claim would of no point. If this is the case, how can I best get a statement from an expert as I now have to face this large company in small claims court. Any help is appreciated! Kim
Category: Ford
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for choosing JustAnswer.
My name is Vladimir.
Your car would not have run if the main 100A had been blown. This fuse protects many circuits and if it is blown, there will be no +12 power at the : ignition coil, constant control relay module, fuel pump, etc.
This fuse usually gets blown if somebody connects a battery in a wrong way ( wrong polarity). Seems that these guys have done it.
I may give you some wiring diagrams that clearly represent what components are protected by this fuse.
Let me know if you need it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your help Vladgmru. Just a couple of follow up questions. what is the +12 power? And to confirm, if the car was running and somehow the 100AMP fuse was blown, the car would have shut down immediately? And because I have to take this to small claims court could you be more specific on the other items that would have gone down once the 100AMP was blown? I have talked to the local Ford repair shop and they will not write a notarized statement. Any ideas on how to get one from an authorized technician? Just keep trying different technicians? My court date is not until the end of November. THANKS again
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 7 years ago.
A +12 power is a voltage that is supplied to commponents in order to operate them.
If the car was running and something was wrong causing the100A fuse to blow, the engine would shut down immediately because the essential components of the engine management system would be currentless.
Sorry, but I have no idea how and where to get a notarized statement since I am from another country ( I am from Moscow, Russia). I suppose you should ask a legal counsel concerning this matter.
Here the list of the components that will be "dead" if the 100A fuse is blown:
"Vitals" are highlighted.
Hazard, turn signals, stop lamps
Door Lock/ulock feature
ABS system
CCRM ( relay module)
Cooling fan
Fuel pump
Ignition coil
Ignition switch
I would say almost everything.