SuperBob
SuperBob, Ford Senior Master, Mazda Senior
Experience:  18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical
17143921

What does service emission system warning mean on a ford escape

Customer Question

What does service emission system warning mean on a ford escape hybrid 2005?
Category: Ford
Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.

Hell Mr Pitbull2008. The gas engine on your vehicle has multiple emission system that it monitors constantly to verify that it will meet government requirments for tail pipe and evaporative emissions. When a particular test fails it will set a code in the computer to give a technician a diagnostic path to follow to find the cause, and subsequently turn on the lamp so that you know there is a fault. The following is a description of the evaporative emission system on your vehicle. Note that MIL means malfuntion indicator lamp.

Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Leak Check Monitor

The evaporative emission (EVAP) leak check monitor is an onboard strategy designed to detect a leak from a hole (opening) un the fuel tank and lines equal to or greater than 0.508 mm (0.020 in) in the enhanced EVAP system. The proper function of the individual components of the enhanced EVAP system as well as its ability to flow fuel vapor to the engine is also examined. The EVAP leak check monitor relies on the individual components of the enhanced EVAP system to apply vacuum to the fuel tank and then seal the entire enhanced EVAP system from the atmosphere. The fuel tank pressure is then monitored to determine the total vacuum lost (bleed-up) for a calibrated period of time. Inputs from the cylinder head temperature (CHT) sensor, intake air temperature (IAT) sensor, mass air flow (MAF) sensor, vehicle speed, fuel level input (FLI) and fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor are required to enable the EVAP leak check monitor.

Note: During the EVAP leak check monitor repair verification drive cycle, clearing the diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) bypasses the minimum soak time required to complete the monitor. The EVAP leak check monitor does not run if the key is turned off after clearing the DTCs. The EVAP leak check monitor does not run if a MAF sensor failure is indicated. The EVAP leak check monitor does not initiate until the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) monitor has completed.

The EVAP leak check monitor is executed in 2 tests: the cruise test and the idle test. The cruise test executes when vehicle speed is above 64 km/h (40 mph). During this test the DTC P0455 is stored if a gross leak is detected, and the DTC P0422 is stored if a small leak is detected. When a very small leak is detected during this test the DTC will not be stored, however, the idle test is required to execute. The idle test starts only after a 6-hour key off soak and requires about 10 minutes to complete. The engine remains running, and the DTC P0446 is stored if the leak is present during this test. The engine returns to a normal operating mode after 10 minutes, regardless of the test result.

The EVAP leak check monitor is executed by the individual components of the enhanced EVAP system as follows:

1. The vapor management valve (VMV) is used to control the flow of vacuum from the engine and create a target vacuum on the fuel tank.
  1. The canister vent (CV) solenoid is used to seal the EVAP system from the atmosphere. It is closed by the PCM (100% duty cycle) which then allows the VMV to obtain the target vacuum on the fuel tank.
  1. The FTP sensor is used by the EVAP leak check monitor to determine if the target vacuum on the fuel tank is being reached to carry out the leak check. Once the target vacuum on the fuel tank is achieved, the change in fuel tank vacuum for a calibrated period of time determines if a leak exists.
  1. The fuel tank isolation valve (FTIV) isolates the fuel tank from the rest of the EVAP system. The FTIV allows the flow of vapors from the fuel tank to the VMV and the EVAP canister. Whenever it is desired to isolate the fuel tank from the rest of the EVAP system, the PCM provides a variable duty cycle signal (between 0% and 100%) to the solenoid which controls the FTIV operation.
  1. If the initial target vacuum cannot be reached, DTC P0455 (gross leak detected) is set. The EVAP leak check monitor aborts and does not continue with the leak check portion of the test.

If the initial target vacuum cannot be reached after a refueling event and the purge vapor flow is excessive, DTC P0457 (fuel cap off) is set.

If the initial target vacuum is exceeded, a system flow fault exists and DTC P1450 (unable to bleed-up fuel tank vacuum) is set. The EVAP leak check monitor aborts and does not continue with the leak check portion of the test.

If the target vacuum is obtained on the fuel tank, the change in the fuel tank vacuum (bleed-up) is calculated for a calibrated period of time. The calculated change in fuel tank vacuum is compared to a calibrated threshold for a leak from a hole (opening) of 0.508 mm (0.020 inch) in the enhanced EVAP system. If the calculated bleed-up is less than the calibrated threshold, the enhanced EVAP system passes. If the calibrated bleed-up exceeds the calibrated threshold, the test aborts reruns the test up to 3 times.

If the bleed-up threshold is still being exceeded after 3 tests, a vapor generation check must be carried out before DTC P0442 (small leak detected) is set. This is accomplished by returning the enhanced EVAP system to atmospheric pressure by closing the VMV and opening the CV solenoid. Once the FTP sensor determines the fuel tank is at atmospheric pressure, the CV solenoid closes and seals the enhanced EVAP system.

The fuel tank pressure build-up for a calibrated period of time is compared to a calibrated threshold for pressure build-up due to vapor generation.

If the fuel tank pressure build-up exceeds the threshold, the leak test results are invalid due to vapor generation. The EVAP leak check monitor attempts to retest again.

If the fuel tank pressure build-up does not exceed the threshold, the leak test results are valid and DTC P0442 is set.

The calculated change in fuel vacuum over the extended time is compared to a calibrated threshold for a leak from a 0.508 mm (0.020 inch) hole (opening).

If the calculated bleed-up exceeds the calibrated threshold, vapor generation is run. If vapor generation passes (no vapor generation), an internal flag is set in the PCM to run a 0.508 mm (0.020 inch) test at idle (vehicle stopped).

On the next start following a long engine off period, the enhanced EVAP system is sealed and evacuated for the first 10 minutes of operation.

If the appropriate conditions are met, a 0.508 mm (0.020 inch) leak check is conducted at idle.

If the test at idle fails, a DTC P0456 is set. There is no vapor generation test with the idle test.

Note: If the vapor generation is high on some vehicle enhanced EVAP systems, where the monitor does not pass, the result is treated as a no test. Thereby, the test is complete for the day.

1. The MIL is activated for DTCs P0442, P0455, P0456, P0457, P1450, (or P0446) after 2 occurrences of the same fault. The MIL can also be activated for any enhanced EVAP system component DTCs in the same manner. The enhanced EVAP system component DTCs P0443, P0452, and P0453 are tested as part of the CCM.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
on the comp. in the car it's say "SERVICE EMISSION SYS" it came up last week it's went off after 2 days, and today it came up again
Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.

You will have a diagnostic code stored in your powertrain control module, if you can get to an auto parts store like auto zone, most will do code scan for free, then I will most likely be able to tell you which system is causing the light and provide you with the tests that would be performed at the dealer level to fix the problem

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
but why after 2 day the light will go off
service emission sys the meaning is not to service your car like change oil , oil filter etc. i have a hybrid escape 2005 because when i let the car check everyting everything is okay if it's only that i must service the car how can i reset the sys. so the light can go off
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how more info
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Bob

In my car where the RPM is, there is a comp. that say park brake on left door ajar etc. there you can test the system of your car brake system charge of the battery is okay etc.
There I can read the message “service emission sys” and the light of the check engine I on and after 2 days it will go off.
I think that I must service the engine like change oil etc. I have 58756 miles on my car
Can I reset the system after service so that the light go off
Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.

give me a few minutes to check some things, I will return shortly

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bob are you there?????
Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.

Ok, I have located a coulple pages from your owners manual which indicate that this is not a warning message that can be cleared by the owner and must be brought to the dealer for diagnosis. If you can retrieve the code, I can probably tell you why it comes and goes.

graphicgraphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>okay I see it, but Bob what is a 'limp-home' operation?</p><p> </p><p>can i go to someone that has comp. for the car to scan it</p>
Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.
limp in mode is like fail safe, it will give you limited throttle, and limited transmission shifting availability depending on the failure. Any shop or autoparts store that has an (OBD) on board diagnosis scanner should be able to retrieve the code(s)
Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.
I am knocking off for the night, is there anything else before I go?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I like to know what is the limp-home operation
Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.

The acceleration controls consist of the accelerator pedal and bracket assembly.

The engine management system electronically operates the throttle of the engine in response to throttle pedal movements initiated by the driver. In the event of a system failure, the engine management system provides a "limp home" mode which allows the car to be driven with limited performance.

Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.
Elton, I will check in with you in the morning, as it is late and I have four small children that are waiting on me.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
okay Bob
Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.
So do you live near a parts store or repair facility that can get the code for you?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Bob
i went to scan the car and the comp. give me this code

P0461 fuel level sensor range / performane problem

and i went to find out what it's the problem is that i full my thank too much thats why after 2 days it go off again

your answer din't not help me

here i paid too scan $45 usd

Elton
Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.
too much fuel in the tank, and a fuel level sensor code is related to the emission system. I cannot reach through the internet and scan your car. This why I said we must have the code first. My answer is what let you to getting your vehicle scanned.
Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.
Are you there?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i know if i have a problem that i must scan my car but here to scan a car is verry expencive $45 usd and i think perhaps for $10.00 i can get an answer but here i have too paid the full price
Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.
You didn't ask to diagnose your car, you asked what the emission indicator meant. And I answered your question. , whatever
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so what must i do?
Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.
.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bob are you there?
Expert:  SuperBob replied 5 years ago.
You got your free answer, I have opted out of this question, please do not reply aynymore.