lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
9493671

2005 ford taurus: I Remove and replace the A/C compressor

How do I Remove and replace the A/C compressor on a 2005 Ford Tarus, What parts need to be removed?
Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 7 years ago.
Hi Customer. Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What type of engine is in your Ford?
-Can I get your 17 digit Vin number?
Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The engine is a 3.0 L - V6 VIN #1FAFP53265A212599
Expert:  lostrider replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for the reply, here is the procedure to replace the compressor assembly, hope this helps.

Notes

AIR CONDITIONING (A/C) COMPRESSOR

Removal and Installation

NOTE:

• If installing a new A/C compressor, the A/C clutch disc and hub, A/C compressor pulley and A/C clutch field coil must be inspected and transferred from the old unit to the new unit if suitable for reuse.
  • Installation of a new suction accumulator is not required when repairing the air conditioning system except when there is physical evidence of system contamination from a failed A/C compressor or damage to the suction accumulator.
  1. If flushing of the air conditioning system has not been performed, recover the refrigerant.
  2. Remove the RH and LH cooling fans.

graphic

1. Loosen the tensioner and remove the drive belt from the A/C compressor pulley.

graphic

1. Disconnect the compressor manifold and tube assembly.
    • Discard the O-ring seals.
  1. Disconnect the compressor field coil electrical connector.

graphic

1. NOTE: The upper LH A/C compressor bolt must be removed with the A/C compressor. Remove the four A/C compressor mounting bolts.

graphic

1. Remove the A/C compressor.
  2. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
    • If a new A/C compressor is to be installed, the clutch assembly must be transferred from the old unit to the new unit.
    • Install new O-ring seals lubricated in clean mineral oil.
    • If not filtering the refrigerant system, lubricate the refrigerant system with the correct amount of clean PAG oil.
  1. If not filtering the refrigerant system, evacuate, leak test and charge the A/C system.

Click ACCEPT for the Answer and leave a FEEDBACK!!!, Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It don't look like it will fit through the opening without removing the exhaust manifold, is this nessary?
Expert:  lostrider replied 7 years ago.

Its tight, but it will come through there, you dont have to remove the manifold, just remove the cooling fans.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK I just took a look and it looks like it might come through that hole. Could you also tell me how much oil this system requirs?
Expert:  lostrider replied 7 years ago.

Here are the capacity specs.

Lubricant Capacity

Capacity195 ml (6.6 oz)
Refrigerant Capacity

Capacity0.96 kg (34 oz)