Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician

Where is the c h t sensor located on a 2002 ford f150

where is the c h t sensor located on a 2002 ford f150
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Which engine is in yours - 4.2L, 4.6L, 5.4L ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
4.6
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

It is located on left rear cylinder head underneath the intake manifold

4.6L Engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor-4.6L Engine

• Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
  • Remove the intake manifold.
  • Disconnect the cylinder head temperature (CHT) sensor electrical connector.
  • Remove the CHT.
  • To install, reverse the removal procedure.
  •  

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
    Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
    Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Intake manifold procedure:

Disassembly

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
    2. Remove the fuel infection supply manifold.
    3. Remove the fuel injectors from the fuel injection supply manifold.
    4. Inspect the two O-ring seals from each fuel injector. Install new O-ring seals as needed.
    5. Remove the engine noise shield.
    6. Remove the bolts.
    7. Separate the upper and lower intake manifolds and discard the lower intake manifold gasket.
      WARNING If the engine has been internally damaged and metal or other foreign material has entered the manifold, it is recommended the manifold be discarded.

NOTE If there is no residual gasket material present, metal surface prep can be used to clean and prepare the sealing surfaces.
    8. Inspect all external and internal surfaces of the upper intake manifold. Inspect for cracks or other damage. Inspect for foreign material inside of the manifold. Clean the upper intake manifold sealing surfaces with silicone gasket remover and metal surface prep. Follow the directions on the packaging.
    9. Allow the upper and lower intake manifolds to dry completely.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Upper and lower intake manifolds-2001-03 F-150 and 2004 Heritage Edition

2. Remove the coolant hose.
    3. Remove the throttle body.
    4. Remove the EGR system module. Discard the gasket.
    5. Remove the fuel injection supply manifold.
    6. Remove the fuel injectors.
    7. Remove the 8 lower-to-upper intake manifold bolts.
    8. Remove the lower intake manifold. Discard the gaskets.
    9. Remove the Intake manifold tuning valve.
    10. Remove the upper intake manifold.

2. Release the 2 coolant hose clamps and remove the coolant hose.
    3. Remove the 4 throttle body (TB) bolts and the TB. Discard the TB gasket.
    4. Remove the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system module bolt.
    5. Remove the EGR system module stud bolt and the EGR system module. Discard the EGR system module gasket.
    6. Remove the 4 TB spacer bolts and the TB spacer. Discard the TB spacer gasket.
    7. Remove the 4 fuel rail bolts.
    8. Remove the fuel rail.
    9. Remove the 8 fuel injectors Discard the 16 fuel injector O-ring seals.
    10. Remove the 8 lower intake manifold bolts and the separate the upper and lower intake manifolds. Discard the lower intake manifold gasket.

Installation

WARNING Do not use metal scrapers, power abrasive discs or any abrasive means to clean the sealing surfaces, these tools cause scratches and gouges that make leak paths. Use a plastic scraper only.

1. Clean all the sealing surfaces.
    2. Position new gaskets and install the intake manifold assembly. Loosely install the nine bolts.
    3. Connect the intake manifold tuning valve electrical connector.
    4. Install the thermostat.
    5. Install the thermostat.
    6. Install a new O-ring seal.
      NOTE The thermostat housing bolts are tightened in sequence with the intake manifold bolts.
    7. Install the thermostat housing and loosely install the bolts.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Tighten the bolts in 2 steps using this sequence-2001 4.6L shown, 5.4L engine similar

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Intake manifold assembly installation torque sequence-2002-03 F-150 and 2004 Heritage Edition

8. Tighten the 11 bolts in two stages in the sequence shown.

Stage 1: Tighten to 2 Nm (18 inch lbs.). Stage 2: Tighten to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.).
    9. Position the alternator and install the lower mounting bolts.
    10. Install the alternator upper mounting bracket. Torque to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
    11. Rotate the belt tensioner clockwise and install the drive belt. Refer to the decal on the radiator upper air deflector for belt routing.
    12. Connect the eight fuel injector electrical connectors.
    13. Install and connect eight ignition coils.
    14. Install the power steering reservoir upper mounting bracket. Torque the 2 upper bolts to 13 ft. lbs. (17 Nm); the one lower bolt to 96 inch lbs. (11 Nm).
    15. Roughly position the throttle body adapter in the vehicle and connect the heated throttle body hose.
    16. Install a new gasket, the throttle body adapter and the bolts. Torque to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
    17. Connect the PCV hose.
    18. Connect the heater hose and the heated throttle body inlet hose.
    19. Install the exhaust manifold to EGR valve tube. Hand-tighten the fittings. Tighten the upper and lower fittings to 26-33 ft. lbs. (35-45 Nm).
    20. Connect the fuel hose spring lock couplings.
    21. Connect the brake booster vacuum tube and bracket and install the nut.
    22. Roughly position the vacuum harness and connect the evaporative emission canister purge valve vacuum hose.
    23. Connect the differential pressure feedback EGR system electrical connector.
    24. Connect the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose.
    25. Connect the evaporative emission canister purge valve hose and the EGR valve vacuum hose.
    26. Connect the TP sensor and IAC electrical connectors.
    27. Connect the EGR vacuum regulator solenoid connections.
    28. Install the IAC fresh air hose.
    29. Connect the main vacuum harness.
    30. Install the accelerator cable bracket and the bolts.
    31. Connect the accelerator cable.
    32. Connect the speed control actuator cable.
    33. Install the throttle return spring.
    34. Connect the upper radiator hose and position the clamp.
    35. Install the air cleaner outlet pipe.
    36. Connect the battery ground cable.
    37. Fill and bleed the engine cooling system.