Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2001 FORD FOCUS ZX3: HATCHBACK..2.0 LITER..ZETEC..THE SPARK PLUGS

I HAVE A 2001 FORD FOCUS ZX3 HATCHBACK WITH A 2.0 LITER ZETEC ENGINE 16 VALVE DUAL OVERHEAD CAM AND I JUST REPLACED THE SPARK PLUGS WITH THE MOTORCRAFT PLUGS IT CALLS FOR IN THE MANUAL. THE GAP SETTINGS ARE CORRECT ACCORDING TO THE MANUAL WHICH IS .051. NOW THE CAR IS SPUTTERING AND ENGINE IS SHAKING WHEN IDLE AND HAS A VERY HARD TIME ACCELERATING OUT OF FIRST GEAR AND WHEN I REACH ABOUT 50 MPH THE ENGINE LIGHT BEGINS TO BLINK. ANY IDEAS ON WHAT ELSE NEEDS TO BE FIXED? THE CAR RAN FINE BEFORE I CHANGED PLUGS, AND I EVEN TRIED PUTTING THE OLD PLUGS BACK IN AND FOR SOME REASON THOSE WERE GAPPED AT .061-.064 AND IT STILL DOES THE SAME THING? DO THE PLUG WIRES NEED REPLACED POSSIBLY? THE OLD PLUGS DID HAVE ALOT OF CORROSION ON THEM TOO. PLEASE HELP. THANK YOU
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

It sounds like you may have gotten the firing order on the wires mixed up but if the wires were bad on the verge of going, removing them could have made the problems worse. Double check the firing order, if good replace the wires. If problem still exists let me know and we will go from there. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
HOW DO I GO ABOUT CHECKING THE FIRING ORDER AND MAKING SURE IT IS CORRECT? I KNOW IN THE MANUAL IT SAYS THE ORDER IS 1-3-4-2 BUT I HONESTLY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THAT MEANS
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
Use the picture I sent to make sure the wire goes from 1 on the coil to 1 cylinder, 2 on coil to 2 on cylinder ,ect. I think this is your problem, let me know thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I CHECKED AND EVERYTHING IS CONNECTED CORRECTLY. ANY OTHER IDEAS? PLEASE LET ME KNOW
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
If you are 100% sure the firing order is correct replace the wires, but make sure you bring this diagram to the car with you and realize everthing in the picture is the same as it would be when you go look under the hood. So make sure the coil on the top left goes to the cylinder on the very left, the coil on lower right goes to second cylinder from left, coil on top right goes to 3 rd cylinder "2nd from the right", then the last one is lower left coil goes to cylinder farthest right "drivers side". If you are certain the wiring is right replace the wires. Let me know what you find, thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I JUST FIXED IT. THE CASING THAT GOES DOWN IN THE 4TH CYLINDER WASNT PUSHED DOWN ALL THE WAY AND WASNT SNAPPED IN PLACE. THE OTHER PLUG WIRES WERE PREVENTING IT FROM DOING SO. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
Sometimes its something simple, but I knew if it worked good before it should work good after. I'm happy to hear it was figured out, thanks again.