SuperBob, Ford Senior Master, Mazda Senior
Experience:  18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical

i have a 2000 ford explorer and the airbag light goes on and

i have a 2000 ford explorer and the airbag light goes on and off. how do i fix it

HelloCustomer I need you to count the number of flashes for me. What you will need to do is turn the key to the run position and wait for the light to go off the first time. then when it begins to flash, count the number of flashes then a short pause and then count the number of times it flashes again, this is a two digit flash out code. It will be followed by a long pause, and then start over again so you can check that you counted correctly. for example the following x's are flashes and the 0's are pauses, this is a code 32

get me the code and I should be able to tell you which component is most likely responsible

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, so the code it flashes is 4 flashes a quick pause one flash and a quick pause then it repeats... I am not sure if I understand your system, but if I do I would guess XXXXOXOXXXXOXOXXXX ETC. Now, I don't know if this helps, but once the car is running the airbag light stays on... until I touch the wire under the passenger seat at which point it starts flashing the code again... at least that' what i think happens. I also have a code reader which gives me P0171, I don't know if that is the same thing or something else I have to fix. I am selling this car which has run great for me, but I want to try to fix these issues or at least tell the next owner what is going on... I don't want to just clear codes and disconnect stuff or be dishonest in any way.
Ok, I will be right back with some information for you

Ok, code 41 is indiacting that one of the front crash sensors are shorted to battery power, this should not activate the airbags but the light on as it is will deactivate the airbag system so that it will not work in the event of a crash. The code that you gave me does not correspond with the symptom condition you described about jiggling the connector under the seat, that connector if it had a problem should flash out a code 27. So you might have two problems with your air bag system. Air bag systems are very dangerous to work on and dealer technicians spend many hours in training to know how to work on them safely, I strongly recommend that you do not perform any repairs on this system yourself. I have attached the code description for a flash out code 41, and the pinpoint test that would be followed by a dealer technician

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the interesting thing is that this light will be on for a week and then off for a few weeks etc etc. is that normal?
It sounds like a wire issue that takes the right amount of vibration or movement to initiate. There has been a lot of problems over the years with the air bag harness connector under the seats and I was really expecting you to have a flash out code 27.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks superbob, sorry i forgot to hit accept
Hey, man thank you, XXXXX XXXXX folks never do come back. You are very upstanding
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
check this out. this morning the airbag light is off again. crazy electronics!!

You have a ghost