Fordanswerman
Fordanswerman, Ford Motor Company Certified Tech
Experience:  Ford Engine Master/Transmission Master/Chassis Master=Ford Senior Master also Diesel 7.3/6.0
577462

2003 Ford Windstar, trouble code 300. engine misfire, changed

2003 Ford Windstar, trouble code 300. engine misfire, changed plugs, wires, fuel filter, pvc valve, air cleaner element, still shudders at indesriminate speeds, dealer could not duplicate, stated wait until it blows up or quits. No what I wanted to hear after sticking me for $400. for not fixing problem, any clues where to look next
Thanks for the question.

Was there any other codes?

Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No other codes have popped up.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Also this shudder is for an instant, and will occur while driving on a level road or in the hills, when the transmission shifts up
Thanks

Ok, try this for me.

Unplug the vacuum line going to the EGR valve. Now drive it and try and get it to act up like before. Let me know if anything changes.

Thanks

graphic
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK give me a few minutes to get things going
No problem.

Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Got engine up to temp and tried to get it to do "its thing". Took vacuum hose off and took out for test run, could not get it to stutter or stumble. Stopped and put vacuum line back on, could not get any reaction. Felt like it wanted to, but with traffic and the rain bei ng what it is here in Branson at the moment, probably not a fair test
Thanks

When you get better weather and less traffic, try it. If by taking the vacuum line off the EGR valve helps and improves, then what you have wrong is the EGR ports in the intake manifold are either partially blocked in a few cylinders or completely blocked. The upper intake manifold will need to be removed and clean out the ports. This will take care of your miss issue.

I have a pic below that shows the ports.

Thanks

graphic
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Will give that a go, and will get back to you and let you know the results. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX you were willing to listen, will accept you comments.
You're welcome.

Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Took Windstar out with the EGR vacuum hose off as you suggested, got van up to operating temp and put about 6 miles on it and didn't correct problem. Stopped and put the vacuum hose back on and condition was back. I put about 1500 miles on in since we started this and hasn't corrected. The check engine lite hasn't come on either. I'm about to see how long it will float. Any suggestions at this point would be appreciated. Thanks again. Left feed back.
Thanks

What can happen is that those EGR ports can get partially plugged and unplugged because of the vacuum and pressure in the intake manifold. If it comes back, and because I have seen almost everyone of these Windstars do this with the ports, I would suggest removing the intake and manually cleaning the ports. It was a poor design and this is the only way to be sure that they are clean is to manually clean them.

Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. I'll print your reply and give it to my mechanic to support your previous information. It seems at least this is a start, instead of just standing back and throwing parts at it. Hope the rest of your inquiries aren't as tough as this one.
That sounds like a plan.

Thanks