Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  33 Years Experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance
17659378

Ford taurus: wagon..they said Torque Converter Clutch System Perf

Hi. today I have Ford taurus wagon 1997
1FALP57U3VG253008

service engine soon light came on.   I hock up the OBD2 code reader.

They show f1744 they said Torque Converter Clutch System Perf...

What does it Perf mean. Also do they have any sensor or control system for Converter clutch system?

if tehy have what should I look at first?

This means that the TC is not engaging.

The PCM will attempt to engage TC 5 times and it monitors the TCCMACT = Actual slip across the TCC, measured in RPM ,PID. It looks for this to drop below 100 rpm(it will actually go as low as 20 in a total lock up.If it can not achieve this after 5 attempts it will set the P1744 code. There are alot of things that could cause this on this tranny but usually if you follow this TSB(technical service bulletin) from Ford it will correct the concern. However unless you are doing the work yourself it is usually not a whole lot of difference in price between this repair and installing a reman unit which has a lot more warranty(ford's is 3yr or 100K miles on a reman) as opposed to 12month or 12K miles for repairing yours.

Here is a copy of the TSB

Printable View (434 KB)
TSB
03-12-3
  • TRANSAXLE - TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH NOT ENGAGING AND/OR DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC) P0741 OR P1744
Publication Date: June 6, 2003

FORD:1996-2003 TAURUS, WINDSTAR
LINCOLN:1996-2002 CONTINENTAL
MERCURY:1996-2003 SABLE

Article 98-6-5 is being republished in its entirety to update the model years and to identify additional contributors to the DTC's being set

ISSUE:

Torque converter clutch not engaging when commanded and/or Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) P0741 or P1744 stored in memory

ACTION:

Use a scan tool (NGS/WDS) to monitor PID's to help determine steps to take for service. Refer to the following Diagnostic Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

The torque converter clutch may not engage if one or more of the following conditions exist:

• Stuck converter regulator valve
  • Stuck solenoid regulator valve
  • Stuck bypass clutch control valve
  • Stuck pressure failsafe valve
  • Pump bore ring groove depth incorrect
  • Worn pump shaft or damaged pump shaft seals
  • Pump shaft internal sleeve loose (rattles)
  • Turbine shaft seals damaged or missing
  • Incorrect Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) solenoid
  • TCC solenoid mechanically stuck or electrically inop
  • Damaged internal wiring harness
  • Incorrect gear ratio (wrong sprockets)
  • Damaged or worn stator support
  • Worn torque converter hub bushing
  • Torque converter clutch worn or damaged

Use a scan tool (NGS/WDS) to monitor the following PID's:

• TCC = Commanded duty cycle for TCC solenoid
  • TCCMACT = Actual slip across the TCC, measured in RPM
  • RPM = Actual engine speed
  • TSS_SRC = Actual turbine shaft speed
  • TCCRAT = Speed/Gear ratio of torque converter/transaxle

NOTE:IF "TCCRAT" PID DATA IS INCORRECT, THE INCORRECT TRANSAXLE OR DRIVE & DRIVEN SPROCKETS HAVE BEEN INSTALLED IN THE VEHICLE.

1. For DTC P0741 and P1744, perform Pinpoint test "C" in Section 307-01 of the appropriate Taurus/Sable, Windstar or Continental Workshop Manual and refer to TCC Solenoid Resistance Chart (Figure 1) for correct TCC resistance.
  2. Also refer to "Diagnosis by Symptom" Routines 240 and 340 in Section 307-01 of the appropriate Taurus/Sable, Windstar or Continental Workshop Manual.
  3. Remove lower pan of the transaxle and check for excessive debris in the pan.
  4. Remove the main control cover, main control and pump shaft.
  5. Check for pump shaft wear or damaged seals.
  6. Inspect the internal wiring harness for damage.
  7. Inspect and clean the main control and make sure all valves move freely. Specifically, converter regulator valve, solenoid regulator valve, bypass clutch control valve or pressure failsafe valve (refer to Figure 2 for AX4N and Figure 3 for AX4S).
  8. Measure depth of groove in the pump bore ring (Figure 4).
  9. If cause for condition has not yet been identified, remove the transaxle and inspect the outer surface of the stator support for damage (Figure 5).
  10. Inspect torque converter hub bushing for wear.
  11. Inspect turbine shaft seals.
  12. To verify the condition has been corrected, the drive cycle must be performed at least five (5) times (for drive cycle procedure refer to the appropriate Workshop Manual Section 307-01). The PCM will not set a torque converter clutch code until it fails to engage five (5) consecutive times.

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
okay. thanks I think bring car to dealer.   by the way. How can I change the V-belt. tensioner doesnt move to loosen side. should i take out some thing for change the V-belt? thanks
No you should be able to use a 15mm socket or wrench on bolt attaching drive belt tensioner pulley, rotate drive belt tensioner clockwise.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is that warranty for in Canada, as well? I might check first here.
thanks for your help. I hope get done this soon.
Not sure about Canada,however I am sure it will be longer than the repair warranty.