Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

motor mounts..truck so I can get rid of the 6cyl that in my 4X4

Customer Question

Hi.
I have the motor mounts with the 302 motot but will the towers work from a 400/351M truck so I can get rid of the 6cyl that in my 4X4?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.
The last time I did that I had to use longer bolts with 4 pieces of 2 inch long 3/8 pipe to space the motor mounts downward. In other words, I used the pieces of pipe between the motor mount and the engine, but you may not have to do that.
Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.
But wait, your truck was a 6 cyl and you are going to a 302, right?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi.

I am working on a 1979 Ford F250 4X4 It had a blowen 300 6cyl and I have a 302 that I would like to put into it. So I was woundering if the motor mount towers from from a ford 1979 4X4 that would have a 400 or a 351M motor if those towers would work to put the 302 in.

YES THATS WHAT i WOULD LIKE TO DO

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes thats what I would like to do.

Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.
I believe the 6 cyl mounting points will work with the 302 mounts.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have the 6 cyl towers on the 302 motor but the mounting holes are off by 4 inches back from the 6cyl bolt holes.
Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.
Did you try to install the engine in the truck and found this issue?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.
Just the engine or the engine and trans?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The ENGINE AND TRANS.
Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.
You are going to have to go to windsor mounts or have a plate welded to the towers you have to make a mounting surface for the mounts you have. Do your mounts have a single stud that goes into the tower?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes

Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.
You are either welding a plate on and drilling a new slot for the mount or finding windsor engine mount towers. The 351M mounts will have the same issues but probably worse.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Ok.

Thank you i'll make up a mounting plate on the frame so it can bolt in.

Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.
You are welcome Im sorry it wasnt as easy as I first thought. Ill have this question closed because you all ready paid and should not have to pay for this one. good luck with it.