William
William, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE Certified Technician
18012760

2003 Ford Windstar: a light on my dashboard came on..exclamation point

I have a 2003 Ford Windstar. This morning while driving to work a light on my dashboard came on. It looks like a cup without handles with an exclamation point inside of it and it is located on the right upper corner as you face the dash.
What is this light indicating I need to check?
Category: Ford
Expert:  William replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Can you tell me, is this the light that you see illuminated?

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, that's it
Expert:  William replied 5 years ago.

That light refers to you vehicle's T.P.M.S. (tire pressure monitoring system). If that light has illuminated, you will need to check all of your air pressures and set them to the pressure stated in the driver's side door jamp label. Don't use the number on the side of the tire as it is only a maximum for the tire. Once the air pressures have been corrected you will need to reset the system to monitor the tires again. This is done as follows:

For vehicles without message center:

1. To reset the system, turn ignition switch to ON position.
  2. Press and hold the Trip/odometer reset button, and wait until "TIRE RESET" or "CHECK TIRE AND RESET" is displayed in odometer display window.
  3. Continue to press the button for 3 seconds, then release. After 3 seconds, the low tire pressure warning light will flash 3 times, indicating that the low tire warning system reset procedure is complete.

For vehicles with message center:

1. Adjust all air pressures to specification
  2. Turn ignition to "on" position (key on, engine off)
  3. Press and hold the SETUP button and wait for the message center to display "SYSTEM CHECK"
  4. Press the RESET button and wait for the message center to display "HOLD RESET TO RELEARN"
  5. Continue to hold the RESET button for 3 seconds. The message "HOLD RESET TO RELEARN" and the low tire warning light will flash 3 times, indicating the reset procedure is complete.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance!

--William

William, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Master ASE Certified Technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

You are awesome! My husband checked the tires last night, they seemed low so he put in air so that would explain the light being on this morning. We didn't know to check anything specific for air pressure.

Thank you very much!

Expert:  William replied 5 years ago.

I'm glad to help! Please ask for me if you ever need future assistance!

Make it a great day!

William