William
William, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE Certified Technician
18012760

where is the fan relay located on a 1996 ford escort 1.9

Customer Question

where is the fan relay located on a 1996 ford escort 1.9? I was told it was inside the engine fuse block, but I cannot locate it in there. I only see fuses and a fuel injector switch. ANy help?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 years ago.

The Cooling Fan High & Lo Speed Relays are located in front of the LH fender apron, left of air cleaner assembly.

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Cannot locate them in this location...The engine fuse box is in that location. There is a fuse inside for the fan but cannot find the relays??? I am assuming the driver side is the LH side...correct?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 years ago.
Yes. near the air cleaner. They will not be in a fuse box, the will be hanging on the inside quater panel.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, not there. HOwever, there is 2 plugs that look like the pics you sent hanging on the back wall near the window washer on the passenger side. Nothing else looks like it.???
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 years ago.
Sorry. thats the only listing i am getting for them. I will opt out and let another tech with a difference resource try to help you. Sit tight one sec, i will forward your question, and someone will be with you shortly....
Expert:  William replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer

I apologize for the delay in getting to your question.

The two relays are located side by side inbetween the air cleaner and the driver's side inner fender. You may need to remove part of the air cleaner to gain access to them. Please refer to the picture below. I hope this helps!!

graphic

William, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Master ASE Certified Technician
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Finally, someone that knew the right answer! Thanks...But it took so long to get an answer from you, my husband traced the wires and found it himself.

Expert:  William replied 7 years ago.

I am so sorry that it took so long. Was he able to find the cause of your concern? If you need any further assistance please don't hesitate to ask and I will be more than happy to assist you.

William

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The radiator fan is not coming on and the car overheats when I am stopped. He replaced the sensor on the engine block, but still not working. He tested the fan on both speeds and it worked fine. So he took out the relays. We have checked online ford parts and went to all of the local auto parts stores and the only relay we can find is the low speed. However, we don't even know for sure if the relays are bad since they want 100 bucks to test them. Ugh....Replacing them will also cost about 100 bucks "if" we can find the part.

Thanks again for all your help!

Expert:  William replied 7 years ago.

Well perhaps I can assist you and maybe help save some of that money. Your husband has most likely checked these but see if you can talk him into checking one more time just to make sure. There are a total of 3 relays for the cooling fan. Those 3 relays have tow different fuses that they rely on for power. The first one is a small 15 amp fuse in the fuse panel located inside the car. It will be labled Engine. The second fuse is a large 40 amp fuse located in the fuse panel located under the hood. It will be labled cooling fan. If either one of these fuses are blown, none of the relays will operate. Once these are checked, let me know the outcome and I can walk your husband through the process to test the relays. The only tool really necessary to test relays is a simple test light and possibly a jumper wire. We will cover more on that after we check the fuses.

Talk to you then!

William

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks again, William! Unfortunately, we have to leave town for about a week but will try this when we get back and I will follow up with YOU if that is ok?
Expert:  William replied 7 years ago.

Absolutely! Refer to this posting and look next to my name to make sure that I am online. Otherwise another expert will attempt to assist you and I will be locked out. Enjoy your trip and we will talk in a week or so!

William