Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech.
Experience:  30 years with Ford dealers

Ford Explorer: my suv turns..while slowing down it just goes off

Customer Question

I own a Ford Explorer 2004. My SUV turns off while driving it, I can turn it on right away but specially while slowing down it just goes off. We have taken it to the dealer and no one seems to find the problem. Anu idea what this could be?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scottdagoalie replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Do you loose all electrical or does the engine stall out?

-DOes your check engine light come on when it stalls or turns off?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The car just goes off completly and all the lights (including check engine) goes on. I can still listen to the Radio but AC does not cool as much. I park turn the switch, radio and AC off and turn the car on with no problem at all and all the lights in the panel go off. It does not happen all the time, it is very random and it is mostly when I slow down due to traffic, turn or a red light.

The problem is likely caused by a sticking IAC(idle air control) valve located on top of the intake ,near the throttle blody. This is a common cause of stall outs during slow down or at lights.I suggest replacing the IAC and retesting to see if the problem continues.The IAC sticking will not set a check engine light or store any fault codes in the system.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This has been happening for almost 3 years and as I said I have never received a code on the light panel. However, now that you mention it yesterday a light turned on (like a wrench) and when I checked the cars manual it mentioned something about the throttle. The light when off after a while and never turned back on again after I turned the car back on. Does this make sense?
The wrench light turning on for a short time should set a fault code in the PCM that will help isolate the problem.I suggest having the system tested to see which code has come up.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok 1 more questions. What is PCM?
Sorry, The PCM is the Powertrain control module ,the engine and transmission computer in the vehicle that operates the engine and transmission controls.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks I will go to the mecanic tomorrow. You have been very helpful! Have a great rest of the day!
You are welcome! Please let me know what you find and if I can further assist you. Thanks, Scott