Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

f150: replace front and back ujoints..4x4

I need to replace front and back ujoints on f150 1998 truck 4x4. How do i do this?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Is this a one piece Drive shaft?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Enclosed are the instruction you need.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

cant download the instruction

Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

Here let me resend .

DOWNLOAD HERE

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
still can't open
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

Well try this.

Universal Joint-Single Cardan, Slip Yoke

Special Tool(s)
C Frame & Screw
205-086 (T74P-4635-C)

Disassembly

1. CAUTION: Under no circumstances is the driveshaft assembly to be clamped in the jaws of a vise or similar holding fixture. Denting or localizing fracture can result, causing driveshaft failure during vehicle operation.

Place the driveshaft (4602) on a suitable workbench. Be careful not to damage the tube.
  1. NOTE: If components are not marked and therefore installed incorrectly, driveline imbalance can occur.

Index-mark the driveshaft components.
  1. Clamp U-joint tool in a vise.
  1. Remove all four of the snap rings.
  1. NOTE: If necessary, use a pair of pliers to remove a bearing cup if it cannot be pressed out all the way.

Remove the driveshaft slip-yoke (4841).
    1. Position the driveshaft slip-yoke in the U-joint tool.
    1. Press out a bearing cup.
    1. Rotate the driveshaft slip-yoke.
    1. Press on the spider to remove the remaining bearing cup.
    1. Remove the driveshaft slip-yoke.
  1. Repeat Step 5 to remove the remaining bearing cups and spider from the driveshaft.
  1. Clean the yoke area at each end of the driveshaft.

Assembly

1. NOTE: Universal Joint Service Kits are to be installed as complete assemblies only. Do not mix components from other U-Joint Kits.

Install the bearing cup.
    1. Start a new bearing cup into the driveshaft yoke.
      • Check the needle bearings for correct positioning.
    1. Position the new spider in the driveshaft yoke.
    1. Using the U-joint tool, press the bearing cup to just below the snap ring groove.
  1. NOTE: Use the yellow snap rings supplied in the kit to assemble the universal joint (U-joint). If difficulty is encountered with the yellow snap rings, install the black snap rings.

Remove the driveshaft from the U-joint tool, and install the snap ring.
  1. Repeat Steps 1 and 2 to install the opposite side of the driveshaft yoke.
  1. Inspect the driveshaft slip-yoke. Install a new yoke, if necessary.
  1. Repeat Steps 1 and 2 to install the remaining new bearing cups, spider, driveshaft slip-yoke, and the snap rings.
  1. NOTE: Do not strike the bearings.

Check the U-joints for freedom of movement.
    • If binding, strike the yoke with a brass or plastic hammer.
  1. Install the driveshaft. For additional information, refer to the procedure in this section.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Great! Got the answer now i can't open the pics. Help?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Im not sure what to tell you. Did you click on the the Blue Download?