Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
11409661

How to change transmission fluid on 2002 ford explorer

Customer Question

how to change transmission fluid on 2002 ford explorer
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 5 years ago.
Here is the shop manual procedure,it requires special tools and should be done at a Ford dealer.
SECTION 307-01: Automatic Transmission - 5R55W/S2002 Explorer/Mountaineer Workshop Manual
GENERAL PROCEDURESProcedure revision date: 08/29/2002

Transmission Fluid Drain and Refill - Vehicles Not Equipped With a Torque Converter Drain Plug

Special Tool(s)
Rubber Tip Air Nozzle
100-D009 (D93L-7000-A)
Vacuum Pump Kit
416-D002 (D95L-7559-A)
Fluid Transporter / Evacuator / Injector
307-D465
Adapter, Fluid Level and Fill Plug
307-437

Material
ItemSpecification
MERCON® V Automatic Transmission Fluid
XT-5-QM
MERCON® V

Fluid Fill Reference

NOTE: Left side of case is shown.

ItemPart NumberDescription
1 - Fluid level
2 7A010 Fluid level tube
3 W704999-S309 Fluid level and fill plug (small) (in-vehicle)
4 7A010 Fluid drain plug (large)

Draining

1. With the vehicle in PARK, position it on a hoist. Set the vehicle as close to level as possible. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02.
  1. Remove the drain plug (large plug) and allow the fluid to drain.

Refill

1. Install the fluid drain plug.
  1. Hold the larger drain plug with a wrench and remove the small (center) fluid level indicating plug using a 3/16-inch Allen key.
  1. Install the special tool into the pan.
  1. NOTE: Prior to filling the special tool with clean transmission fluid, make sure that the canister is clean.

Fill the special tool with clean automatic transmission fluid.
  1. Hang the special tool under the vehicle, upright and close to the transmission.
  1. Connect the special tools.
    • Connect the open end of the fluid hose from the Fluid Transporter/Evacuator/Injector to the Fluid Level and Fill Plug Adapter at the bottom of the transmission fluid pan.
  1. Apply a maximum of 206.85 kPa (30 psi) to the open end of the vacuum/pressure hose from the special tool. Fluid will immediately start flowing out of the special tool into the transmission fluid pan.
  1. Add two or three quarts of transmission fluid into the fluid pan. Stop the process by releasing the air pressure and removing the air nozzle from the end of the hose.
  1. NOTE: Engine idle speed is approximately 650 rpm.

Start and run the engine until the transmission fluid temperature is between 27°C - 49°C (80°F - 120°F).
  1. Inspect the fluid level in the special tool. If the fluid drains back into the canister, the transmission is full. If no fluid drains back, more fluid will need to be added. Repeat steps 9 and 10.
  1. Once the transmission is full, place a hand vacuum pump on the open end of the hose of the special tool and apply vacuum to the system. This will pull any extra fluid trapped in the system and direct it into the container.
  1. Allow the fluid to drain. When the fluid comes out as a thin stream or drip, the fluid is at the correct level.
  1. Reinstall the small (center) fluid level indicating plug using a 3/16-inch Allen key.

Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience: 30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how about change whole 12 ot of fluid
Expert:  Ray M. replied 5 years ago.
To drain and change all the fluid you will need to remove the pan and filter.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how to empty all 12 ot of fluid
Expert:  Ray M. replied 5 years ago.
You can only drain the pan of fluid as there is no drain plug in the torque convertor.To drain the pan you will need to remove the large plug from the bottom of the pan.