Bamaman39
Bamaman39, Ford Technician
Experience:  10 years ford experience, Ford Senior Master Diesel And Gasoline Tech
17239397

1998 3.8L Ford Mustang wont start. It will crank, but will not fire.

Customer Question

1998 3.8L Ford Mustang won't start. It will crank, but will not fire. No fault codes are stored in the computer. No fuel pressure registers at the schraeder valve. Fuel filter has been changed. Fuel pump was removed and determined to be operational by applying 12VDC. Power comes to the fuel pump for about a second after turning on the key and then dies. The fuel pump fuse is OK. The vacuum line to the fuel regulator was not attached to the canister but was reinstalled with no effect. The engine will fire if starter fluid is sprayed into the intake. The PATS theft light flashes rapidly when key is switched on. If the key is held for 30 seconds, the theft light goes out but soon starts a single flash followed by 3 short flashes.

I have not checked the Vref or ground to the PCM but think this may be an electrical problem since the problem occurred suddenly. Any ideas where to start?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for using just answer.

If your theft light is blinking rapidly then you have lost communcation with the key and transceiver.When the theft system is on it will cut fuel off to motor for a no start,because it thinks it is being stolen.Do you have a spare key?Is the engine light on when key is on engine off?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will check for a spare key. Yes the engine light is on when the key is on engine off.
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 7 years ago.
Ok let me know what it does
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It was the key. Thanks.
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 7 years ago.
Your welcome