john c.
john c., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase master, asep grad,853 gm certs, gm master cert, 18 years gm tech
17799327

1995 Ford: van..engine overheats wile on the highway..radiator

Customer Question

My 1995 Ford E150 Chateau van with 351 cu in engine overheats wile on the highway. Does'n seem to do so while ideling. I replaced the radiator about 3 years ago, put in a new thermostat. Last fall no heat so I replaced the thermostat again and all was well until about May. Then it started to run hotter than normal (went from the N in normal to high side of the M. Now that it's summer, it goes all the way up to L when I run the air so I turn the air off and on to keep from overheating. Last week I had the fan clutch replaced on the advice of Ford shop and replaced the thermostat just because. It takes longer to overheat but still does. The mechanic thinks their might be a problem with the lower radiator hose. It is an aftermarket with the spring inside and replaced along with the radiator.

What do I try next? Any suggestions? It is the 351 cu in engine, auto and air. Just turned 128000 miles and never had a hint until this year.

Thanks,

Lewis
Category: Ford
Expert:  john c. replied 5 years ago.

hi,

i have a feeling there is a partial clog in your radiator. i know its been replaced but this is a vehical that isnt drivin every day. the easiest way to check this is to use a infared temp gun.

they used to be around 300 but have come down alot. you can even get one at your local hobbie shop that sells gas powered rc cars they are now around 50 to 100 dollars.

get one and start it up. when it starts getting hot, use the gun to shoot different spots of the radiator. car off, from the back side of the radiator. 1 side will be cooler then the other. but in the center and areas around it shouldnt vary more then 15 degrees. you may even find a cold spot being 50 + degrees cooler then other areas.

and the heat gun wont be a 1 time use type deal. it can be used for all kinds of things, like checking your bar b que temp, and anything else you can think of temp wise.

hope this helps, let me know if i can assist you further.

thanks,

john c.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I'll hunt for an infared temp gun and give it a try. I'll respond when I accomplish that. In the mean time, thanks for the tip. If it works out, I'll pay the fee.

Lewis

Expert:  john c. replied 5 years ago.

no problem, let me know how it goes.

thanks,

john c.