A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

Fueling problem. Trying to add fuel is a very slow process,

Fueling problem. Trying to add fuel is a very slow process, if I hold the handle in all the way the pump kicks off after only a few seconds. I can only add fuel by lightly squeezing the handle and going very slowly. I have tried every conceivable nozzle position..they all act the same. This happens no matter what the fuel level is in the tank, near empty, half, 3/4, same result. I am at my wits end because just filling the tank feels like an all day affair. I'm not getting any codes about a loose gas cap and I don't know what else to check. Is the tank vented? If so, is the vent tube somewhere I can easily check?
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Ford?
-What model is your Ford?
-How many miles are on your Ford?
-What type of engine is in your Ford?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

2001

P71 Crown Victoria/Police Interceptor

115,000 Miles

4.6 ltr SOHC.. I think.

The only thing I have tried is every different nozzle position I can think of..none work. It acts like the tank is full, to the point that fuel will gush out if I attempt to fill it too quickly and I dont have the nozzle seated well. I can only add fuel at a trickle or the pump clicks off. Don't know if it's related in any way, but my mileage is horrible as well :) less than 15MPG.

The reason your tank won't fill is that down where the filler neck meets the fuel tank there is a antisiphon flapper valve. It prevents hoses from being placed down the filler neck into the tank to siphon gas out. The flapper valve is closed and not letting gas to flow quickly into your tank. That is why it shuts the pump of and spashes back when filling it fast.

The picture shows a Lincoln, but it is the same as the Crown Vic.

graphic

The filler neck can be replaced without dropping the fuel tank. As for the gas mileage, you cna get your ECU reporogrammed which will reset all the tables (programs) in your ECU and the gas mileage should improve. The ECU uses Adaptive Strategies, basically it learns how you drive and adapts to your habits, or the previous owner. It basically learns as you drive. You can also disconect the battery for 10 minutes and se if the gas mileage improves. But the best way is to have your ECU reprogrammed with the latest calibrations. I hate to say this, but the best place to have the reprogram done is at a dealership.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That should do it then, though replacing the filler neck myself is probably beyond my meager mechanical abilities. It's good to know what the problem is though, now I can look into costs to have it replaced. I will try disconnecting the battery, but barring that working I will just bite the bullet and take it to the dealer. I will accept your answer and give positive feedback. Thanks again

You are welcome. I can give you directions on replacing the filler neck it you want to try to.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Always willing to try a new car repair!
SECTION 310-01A: Fuel Tank and Lines 2001 Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis Workshop Manual
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

Filler Pipe

Removal

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable (14301). For additional information, refer to Section 414-01 .
  1. Drain the fuel tank (9002). For additional information, refer to Section 310-00A .
  1. CAUTION: Do not damage retainer ring during removal or the cap may not seal.

Remove the screws.

graphic

1. Raise the vehicle. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02 .
  1. Remove the LH rear wheel and tire assembly.
  1. Disconnect the vapor recirculation tube connector. For additional information, refer to Section 310-00

graphic

• CAUTION: The dogpoint screw has a blunt end and must be used in this application.

Remove the screw.
  • graphic

1. CAUTION: Exercise care not to damage grommet or check valve at end of pipe (9072).

NOTE: If unable to obtain sufficient clearance for removal, the tank straps may have to be loosened.

Remove the fuel tank filler pipe (9034).
      1. Slide the fuel tank filler pipe into the tank enough to obtain clearance.
      1. Rotate counterclockwise 1/2 turn and remove the fuel tank filler pipe.

graphic

Installation

1. NOTE: Lubricate the fuel tank filler pipe end with petroleum meeting Ford specification ESW-M1C115-A or ESB-M1C99-A.

Install the fuel tank filler pipe in the fuel tank.
    1. NOTE: Screw has a blunt end and must be used in this application.

Install the dogpoint screw (W611621-5428).

graphic

• NOTE: Attach strap for cap at 4:00 o'clock position.

Install the screws.
  • graphic

• Connect the vapor recirculation hose.
  • graphic

Here are the directions. Look it over and look at the Crown Vic. See if you want to do it before removing any parts. As for the special grease, you can use WD40 if a very light coat of regular grease.

Experience: ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
    I took out the bad pictures so you don't get comfused. Sorry about that.