Tim
Tim, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master tech, ASE certified
9591582

My transmission is leaking out of the dipstick tube when the car

My transmission is leaking out of the dipstick tube when the car is initially turned on after the car has set. Once you turn the car on and let it run for a little while, the oil will start circulating and the leaking (or spurting) from the dipstick will stop. I guess the big question is based on this description - do you think that it is going to require a new transmission or do you think that it is some component which works with the transmission that will ultimately need to be repaired/replaced? I know that this is vague but is about the best that I can do to offer a brief description of what the car is doing. The car has 62,874 miles and has had two owners. I got the car at 21K and have always had the oil changed, etc. Comments?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

what type vehicle?

what year?

what transmission is in the vehicle?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2003 ford taurus SEL
Not sure what transmission - it is a six cylinder
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.
the dipstick can be removed and the seal replaced if it is leaking from the seal.It is a single bolt and than pull out the dipstick and than pull out the grommet.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, the problem is that the level of the transmission fluid rises on the dipstick way above the standard limits. The level of the transmission fluid will go down once the car is running and has been running for a minute or so. I don't think that the seal on the dipstick is honestly the problem or per another mechanic. The car has 62, 874 miles on it. I know that Ford is a good car company and I am a little concerned at the prospects of having a transmission rebuilt/remanufactured at such low mileage.
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.
Ok than the vent is probably stopped up.It will be located on the top of the trans and will have a metal cap on it . Make sure the cap is not damaged and not allowing the trans to vent.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So, in your expert opinion based on the very vague information that I have rendered, you don't believe that I am going to need a rebuilt transmission? It appears in your opinion to be something minor and relatively inexpensive? I have it at a transmission shop and I need a clue so when they try to screw me over, I have a better idea of what to look out for.
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.
For just the fluid issue I have seen the vent stopped up and causing this exact thing.Without looking at the car I can only go on my personal experience and I have never seen a major issue cause this. This is were I would start first and it should be relativly cheap to repair.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Perfect - I appreciate your "guestimate" and I know that I can't hold you accountable to answer the specifics without actually seeing the car. At least this gives me hope and perhaps I will sleep better. Thank you for your time.
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.
You are welcome.
Tim, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Senior Master tech, ASE certified