Steve S
Steve S, Ford Technician
Experience:  10 years in Ford Dealership, Certified in: Auto Trans, Diesel Engines, Climate Control, Electrical D
9447945

Club wagon: an alternator..Ford econoline..owners manual

how to replace an alternator on my Ford econoline club wagon E350.. I don't know the ampage since I bought it used and it did not come with an owner's manual
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve S replied 5 years ago.
Hi there depending on the year i may be able to look that info up for you with the VIN number? Steve
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1998   VIN# XXXXX
Expert:  Steve S replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry it is over the ten year limit to look at the VIN number. I guess what the shop is going to have to do is cross reference the part number on the alternator. You can just read the part number to a dealer and have them tell you what amperage alternator is in it right now. Steve
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok. how do I go about pulling it out?
Expert:  Steve S replied 5 years ago.
What engine? Steve
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
again, I'm at a lack of info w/o the manual . . . It's gas powered but with the engine being so compact, I can't see if it's V8 or V10. It's a large 15 passenger van though, if that even helps
Expert:  Steve S replied 5 years ago.

Hi there here is the info. Good Luck Thanks Steve

4.6L & 5.4L Engines

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
  2. Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable Drive belt Alternator bracket bolts Ignition wire from the alternator Alternator bolts and the alternator Alternator electrical connectors Alternator stator and voltage regulator connectors Alternator battery cable nut and the cable

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Alternator mounting-5.4L engine shown, 4.6L similar

To install:

1. Install or connect the following:

Alternator battery cable and the nut Alternator stator and voltage regulator connectors Alternator electrical connectors Alternator and the bolts, tighten to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm) Ignition wire from the alternator Alternator bracket bolts and tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm) Drive belt Negative battery cable

Steve S, Ford Technician
Experience: 10 years in Ford Dealership, Certified in: Auto Trans, Diesel Engines, Climate Control, Electrical D