Steve S
Steve S, Ford Technician
Experience:  10 years in Ford Dealership, Certified in: Auto Trans, Diesel Engines, Climate Control, Electrical D
9447945

1996 Ford Explorer 4dr XLT - Front passenger electric window

1996 Ford Explorer 4dr XLT - Front passenger electric window operated partially down yesterday but would not operate up. Tried using driver controls as well as passenger controls. The window is not all the way down, but will still go down via the controls, and if I physically try to pull it up with or without using the control at the same time it does not "give". Also when I press the up control I cannot "hear" the motor engage as with the other windows.
Advice please.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve S replied 7 years ago.
Hi there Bob do you have a voltmeter to check voltage at the window motor? All other windows work perfectly fine right? Steve
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Steve, Yes all other windows work fine, and yes I do have a DVM.

Expert:  Steve S replied 7 years ago.
Do you have the interior door panel off or could you remove it so we could test the power at the motor? Steve
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No sir the door panel is not off. My first instinct was to remove it and check wiring integrity and voltage present or mechanical bind etc. but as I went forward to remove the panel I realized that this may be the toughest part of the job for me as I've never had good luck removing panels in a vehicle without at least partial destruction.
Expert:  Steve S replied 7 years ago.

I am going to try to find you step by step info give me a second and I will be right back . Thanks Steve

Here is that info Thanks Steve

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Steve, Sorry for the lapse of time, had to to take my wife to a Dr. appt. I'm glad it's not raining today.

Thank you for info to remove door panel. I'm going to take a crack at that now (without appropriate tools) and hope you'll bear with me so I can address the inoperative window.

Thank you, Bob...

Expert:  Steve S replied 7 years ago.
Yes just let me know what you find. Steve
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I've managed to separate the "door lock" and window "up/down" switch from the "trim" panel.

There are 7 connections on the window up/down sw., the center contact is always hot (+12v) and the other 6 are at ground until the "up" sw. is depressed at which time 3 of the connections go to 12v.

I did not chek connections with swith in down position as there is only about 2 inches of glass to grab onto that's still showing.

Bob...

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Steve S.

I just reread the above dialog and realize that you asked for voltage read at the motor not the switch. Sorry. I will try to remove the rest of the trim panel in order to access the motor and get back to you.

Sorry for so much time taken.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Finally got over my fear of pulling that door panel off! But I did leave a half dozen plastic clips in the door frame...Oh well....

found the two wires going to the window motor and both are at ground, but each one reads 12v depending on up or down position of switch.

Motor seems to be culprit unless theres a mechanical bind in the "up" direction of glass.

I've pulled the speaker but am unable to get to the motor very well. This was not shown or referred to in the otherwise helpful diagram that you provided.

Thanks so much for the help that you've provided so far. Let me know if I'm asking too much of you.

Bob...

Expert:  Steve S replied 7 years ago.
Hi there Bob I am hear to help I am going to search for a diagram of removing the window motor. If you stick the 2 leads of the voltmeter in the 2 wire connector going to the motor you should see that the voltage and ground will switch depending on the direction of the switch. So yes I do believe that you have a faulty motor. I will search for that info and get right back to you. Thanks Steve
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

OK Steve, I believe that we're almost at the end. If you can provide the info on replacing the motor I think we'll be done.

I meant to ask you if there are any limit switches that I need to worry about? For an amatuer like me it's there's no end to the questions. Thanks for your patience.

Expert:  Steve S replied 7 years ago.
Hi Bob I had to step away for awhile I will be back in a second with that info. Steve
Expert:  Steve S replied 7 years ago.

Here is that info. Thanks Steve

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you Steve...

Expert:  Steve S replied 7 years ago.
Yes it was a pleasure if you need anything else please ask before hitting "accept" Thanks Steve