mcc1228, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Diesel/Senior/Master Technician

2002 Ford Explorer: cylinder engine..timing chain..engine knock..RPM.

Customer Question

My 2002 Ford Explorer with 6 cylinder engine has a problem with the timing chain making a noise that sounds like engine knock at about 2500 RPM. Ford is aware of the problem, but the dealer advised me that the fix would cost about $1,000. I am looking at buying a 2003, 04, or 05 Explorer and would like to know if this problem was fixed by Ford.
Category: Ford
Expert:  mcc1228 replied 7 years ago.
The technical service bulletin you speak of (TSB #04-15-4) covers model years 1999-2002 model year Explorers and 2001-2002 model years Explorer Sport Trac, Explorer Sport and Ranger. The update, is to install a beefier primary "jackshaft" chain tensioner, in order to reduce the noise you speak of. Due to the model years covered, it is safe to assume that model years 2003 onward, have the updated chain tensioner installed from new.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the help. God Bless, have a great July 4 holiday!
Expert:  mcc1228 replied 7 years ago.
Glad to have helped.