Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician

how to remove intake manifold from 1999 mercury villager

how to remove intake manifold from 1999 mercury villager?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Here are directions:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

CAUTION Never open, service or drain the radiator or cooling system when hot; serious burns can occur from the steam and hot coolant. Also, when draining engine coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted to ethylene glycol antifreeze and could drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantities. Always drain coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or is several years old.

1. Drain the radiator and recycle the engine coolant.
  2. Remove the air cleaner-to-intake manifold hose using the following procedure:
    1. Disconnect the vacuum hose, breather tube, and bypass air inlet hose from the air cleaner-to-intake manifold hose.
    2. Loosen the air cleaner-to-intake manifold hose clamps.
    3. Remove the air cleaner-to-intake manifold hose, with the upper and lower resonators still attached.

3. Disconnect the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor and MAP solenoid electrical connectors.
  4. Disconnect the two electrical connectors from the throttle body. Slide the harness from the bracket.
  5. Disconnect the idle speed control (ISC) electrical connector.
  6. Remove the coolant hose from the throttle body.
  7. Disconnect the evaporative emission (EVAP) vacuum hose from the throttle body.
  8. Remove the fuel pressure regulator-to-upper intake manifold vacuum hose from the upper intake manifold.
  9. Label and disconnect the spark plug wires from the spark plugs, then remove the spark plug wire boots from between the upper intake manifold runners. Unclip the spark plug wire retainers and position the wires aside.
  10. Disconnect the vacuum reservoir vacuum hose.
  11. Remove the wiring harness bracket bolt and remove the wiring harness and bracket from the upper intake manifold and set aside.
  12. Disconnect the accelerator and cruise control cables from the throttle lever.
  13. Remove the two bolts from the accelerator and cruise control cable bracket. Position the cables and bracket aside.
  14. Disconnect the brake booster hose from the power brake booster check valve.
  15. Disconnect the EGR modulator pipe fitting and remove the pipe.
  16. Disconnect the EGR pipe from the EGR valve.
  17. Remove the two fuel line bracket bolts to disconnect it from the EGR adapter plate.
  18. Unclip the MAP solenoid vacuum hose.
  19. Remove the two EGR adapter plate bracket bolts.
  20. Disconnect the MAP vacuum hoses.
  21. Remove the two left breather tube bracket-to-upper intake manifold bolts. Disconnect the left breather hose from the left valve cover.
  22. Disconnect the EGR temperature sensor electrical connector.
  23. Disconnect the EVAP purge solenoid electrical connector.
  24. Remove the five upper intake manifold-to-lower intake manifold bolts.
  25. Separate the upper intake manifold from the lower intake manifold and reposition it to gain access to the underside.
  26. Disconnect the coolant hose.
  27. Disconnect the two vacuum hoses.
  28. Disconnect the PCV vacuum hose.
  29. Remove the upper intake manifold and discard the gasket.

To install:

1. The installation is the reverse of removal, but please note the following important steps.
  2. Clean the upper and lower intake manifold gasket surfaces. A gasket scraper and solvent may be used, however, be careful not to nick or gouge either surface.
  3. Use a new gasket.
  4. Tighten the five upper intake manifold-to-lower intake manifold bolts to 78-95 inch lbs. (9-11 Nm).
  5. After installation, fill the cooling system. Run the engine and check for coolant and vacuum leaks.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Exploded view of upper intake manifold components-1999-00

lower intake manifold

1. Relieve the fuel system pressure. Please refer to Fuel System, Electronic Fuel Injection, Relieving Fuel System Pressure for the procedure.
  2. Remove the upper intake manifold (plenum) using the previous procedure.
  3. Disconnect the six fuel injector electrical connectors.
  4. Disconnect the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor electrical connector.
  5. Remove the two ground wire bolts.
  6. Disconnect the heated oxygen sensor electrical connector and unclip the harness from its bracket.
  7. Disconnect the PCV breather hose. Remove the wiring harness straps and position the hose and wiring harness aside.
  8. Disconnect the coolant temperature sending unit electrical connector.
  9. Remove the bolt from the spark plug wire bracket and remove the bracket.

CAUTION Observe all applicable safety precautions when working around fuel. Whenever servicing the fuel system, always work in a well ventilated area. Do not allow fuel spray or vapors to come in contact with a spark or open flame. Keep a dry chemical fire extinguisher near the work area. Always keep fuel in a container specifically designed for fuel storage; also, always properly seal fuel containers to avoid the possibility of fire or explosion.

1. Remove the two bolts from the high pressure fuel line and disconnect it.
  2. Remove the clamp from the fuel return hose disconnect it.
  3. Remove the fuel injection fuel rail bolts, then position the fuel rail and the insulators out of the way.
  4. Remove the upper radiator hose from the intake manifold water outlet. Remove the upper radiator hose bracket bolt.
  5. Remove the upper timing belt cover bolt.
  6. Remove the bypass hose from the intake manifold water outlet.
  7. Disconnect the heater hose from the intake manifold pipe.
  8. Remove the lower intake manifold bolts and nuts in two steps. Refer to the illustration for the proper sequence.
  9. Remove the lower intake manifold washers. Lift the lower intake manifold from the engine. Discard the gaskets.

To install:

2. Clean the lower intake manifold and cylinder head gasket surfaces. A gasket scraper and solvent may be used, however, be careful not to nick or gouge either surface.
  3. Lay new lower intake manifold gaskets on the cylinder heads and position the lower intake manifold on the engine. Install the lower intake manifold washers, bolts, and nuts.
  4. Tighten the lower intake manifold bolts and nuts as follows. Refer to the illustration for the proper sequence.
    1. Tighten the nuts and bolts, in sequence, to 35 inch lbs. (4 Nm).
    2. Tighten the nuts and bolts, in sequence, to 80 inch lbs. (9 Nm).
    3. Retighten the nuts and bolts to 80 inch lbs. (9 Nm), still following the tightening sequence.

5. After installation, fill the cooling system. Run the engine and check for fuel, coolant, and vacuum leaks.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Gradually loosen the lower manifold bolts in two steps using the proper sequence

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Tighten the bolts and nuts in three steps using this sequence

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician